We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Input sought on this itinerary

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
137 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Input sought on this itinerary

Hi, thanks for getting back to my inquiry yesterday. I have followed the pointers and done some homework, and here is a tentative itinerary I have come up with:

- fly into SJO

- Manuel Antonio national park (2 days)

- Tortuguero village (2 days)

- Arenal (3 days)

- Monteverde (2 days)

- beaches in Guanacaste (3 days)

- fly out of LIR

the basic idea is to do the nature thing first and then relax on a beach in Guanacaste before heading back home. What I am not sure are the following:

- the length of stay at each place

- the order of places we should follow as move to the west to Guanacaste

- best way to get from one place to another

- if we fly into SJO, should we attempt to directly connect to the next destination?

Any input would be appreciated greatly. Thank you.

By the way, we are thinking about an April trip, leaving around April 5. We are aware of the Easter falling on April 20, but our schedule is limited by our kids' Spring break schedule. The kids will be 7 and 10 by then. Please also make suggestions on the itinerary taking into consideration of their ages. Thanks again.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Input sought on this itinerary

Tortuguero is out of "logical" route. Maybe you should skip it this time. Or put it at the start of your travel. Be aware that arrival and departure times of your flights might "eat" a day or two. To simplify your itinerary, start with Manuel Antonio then drive to Monteverde then Arenal then Guanacaste. Length of each stay is OK; if more then add them to Arenal and Guanacaste. Best way to be transferred between places is to use one of many companies offering shared shuttle van transport. If you will start booking lodges early then you might be lucky to find your preferred ones still having availability.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
137 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Input sought on this itinerary

thank you.

Seeing turtle nesting sounds fanscinating. What do you think if I replace Mauel Antonio with Tortuguero? I was thinking about flying into SJC and then connecting to Portuguero without even getting out of the airport? One thing I have not done, though, is to check whether April would be a good time to see turtle nesting. Anyone knows off hand?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Input sought on this itinerary

April should be the starting for leatherbacks. Could be hit or miss. Specially as you will need full moon. However I found Tortuguero much more magical then Manuel Antonio, even without any turtle in sight.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
137 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Input sought on this itinerary

One more question I'd like to ask is whether my plan is a bit too ambitious, i.e, either Tortuguero or Manuel Antonio, Arenal, Monteverde and Guancaste beach, given that transportation would take time? I am thinking about roughly from April 5 to April 17 or 18.. Thank you.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 16:12
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
137 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Input sought on this itinerary

Thank you. Tortuguero it is, then.

Any recommendation on lodging at each of the places? We enjoy good hotels and good locations. Thank you.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Input sought on this itinerary

Hmmm, difficult from me. i enjoy simple places with personalized services, best owned by locals. However, put down your tentative itinerary and we might have some ideas.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
137 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Input sought on this itinerary

Thank you. Will do.

8. Re: Input sought on this itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:19