We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Recommendations

Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Recommendations

While my husband and I stay in Playas del Coco for 6 full days in February, arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving early the following Thursday, we are considering the following day trips: Lomas de Barbudal Biological Reserve, Palo Verde Nat Park, Rincon de la Vieja Nat Park, and Santa Rosa Nat Park. We will also hang out at the beach in Playa Hermosa and/or Ocotal. (We will have a rental car.) Then we thought we'd stay a night near Tenorio Nat Park to see it before heading to Arenal (El Castillo) for 2 nights, followed by a night near to Poas Nat Park before driving back to Alajuela to fly home the next day.

Is this too full/crazy itinerary? We like to hike to see the wildlife and fauna so thrills of zip-lining, rafting, etc.don't need to be included. We're really torn because we'd like to see Monteverde Cloud Forest as well. We'd appreciate any suggestions on what would be best to see and what we could dismiss if we need to slow down.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13,978 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Recommendations

To me it seems not crazy at all. 2 nights at El Castillo are not that much, but you play with what you have. Staying one night and later visiting Poas will give you an idea what a cloud forest looks like. You surely have not enough time to add Monteverde as 2 nights there is a minimum. At Poas do not wait all the time at lagoon crater; there are excellent trails around upper part.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Recommendations

I think it's a great itinerary. Don't worry about not seeing Monteverde - you just can't see it all! It's great that you are going to Lomas de Barbudal! It's a little visited "jewel." I also like that you are visiting all the other National Parks -- excellent!

Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Recommendations

Thank you for your suggestions and comments. I am excited!

4. Re: Itinerary Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:21