We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Field Guide - The Wildlife of Costa Rica by Zook and Dean

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Field Guide - The Wildlife of Costa Rica by Zook and Dean

Has anyone used this book in your travels to Costa Rica? I am looking for a lightweight, not-too-bulky field guide that includes the most seen mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and arthropods. This book seems to be just the thing, but thought to ask here. It is available on Amazon.

I've already ready about 5 pages of other's threads/posts on field guides and haven't found other guides that look as good as Zook and Dean's.

I already know about Rainforest Publications folding guides, but I am looking for one book.

Thank you in advance!

P.S., Forgot to include the other authors name of Ried and Leenders.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 23:06
Ottawa
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Field Guide - The Wildlife of Costa Rica by Zook and Dean

I think it's very comprehensive for one easily portable book on the wildlife of C.R. My husband and I have many books which concentrate solely on birds,/mammals,/butterflies/ reptiles and amphibian/ flora but this one is a good intro and general field guide for identifying common wildlife. Go for it!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Field Guide - The Wildlife of Costa Rica by Zook and Dean

It's a great book and I know several professional guides who like it very much. As osalife says, very comprehensive for one book.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Field Guide - The Wildlife of Costa Rica by Zook and Dean

Thanks for your feedback on the book. I did end up buying it and really like it. Bought another one for Costa Rican Spanish....can we say "vos?" or "pura vida." :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Field Guide - The Wildlife of Costa Rica by Zook and Dean

Great book...I used it some times as a refereneces...

We used both VOS or TU...or even USTED...and of course all the time is PURA VIDA!! everything is PURA VIDA!!

roadadvisor

5. Re: Field Guide - The Wildlife of Costa Rica by Zook and Dean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:19