We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is $782 too much to pay for a rental car for 11 days?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is $782 too much to pay for a rental car for 11 days?

I can't tell if we are getting a "good" quote for a rental or not and I would like some feedback. The quote is through Adobe and, specifically, a person who was recommended by one of the vacation rentals we are staying at. While I'm a bit concerned that the price is inflated so that there can be a "kick back" to the referring person, I also feel like we shouldn't have any problems (car there, on time, for the price discussed) because of the referral involved. If the feedback is that the price appears seriously inflated then I will start shopping around.

Here's the quote for a Suzuki Jiminy for 11 days (middle February):

Car rental: $507

Mandatory insurance: $176

GPS: $99

Total: $782

I asked if they would accept the CR Discount Card but they said they wouldn't because it's already a "low rate."

Any input on if this quote is reasonable?

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is $782 too much to pay for a rental car for 11 days?

That looks like a very reasonable rate to me. We usually buy the "extra" insurance on top of that and figure about $90 per day.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,801 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is $782 too much to pay for a rental car for 11 days?

For CR Discount Card to be accepted, all or contact Tania at CR Discount Card, either through their web site live chat either by email. They will contact Adobe in your name.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is $782 too much to pay for a rental car for 11 days?

That's about the going rate for 11 days in a 4X4 with insurance and GPS.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is $782 too much to pay for a rental car for 11 days?

Most businesses won't give customers more than one promotion at the same time. If you are getting a discount through your hotel, it is fair enough that you can't use the discount card too. Maybe you could check whether you would get a better deal with the card instead.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is $782 too much to pay for a rental car for 11 days?

Have not rented in a while but it is pricey here. Cost of vehicles and gas in CR are about double what you pay in the USA which is one factor. When I do rent I use Adobe 99% of the time. Good company, good folks, I would not hesitate to use or recommend them.

6. Re: Is $782 too much to pay for a rental car for 11 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 06:21