We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific beaches

Barcelona, España
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Pacific beaches

I am planing a 10 days trip to CR. First Tortuguero, then Arenal and I would like to end with a beach destination.

I do not fancy the idea to go to Manuel Antonio because, for what I read, is too touristic.

Any recommendations for north-central pacific beaches?

And also not really far away from San Jose as we need to take a flight back home and I don't want to lose a night in the city.

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,629 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific beaches

No can do. Manuel Antonio is the closest good beach to the airport (3 hours) and you've ruled it out. IMO there are no good beach destinations on north-central Pacific beaches that will allow you to avoid an overnight near the airport unless:

1. you have a late afternoon or evening flight out of SJO and depart the beach at the crack of dawn

2. you fly home out of Liberia

3. you fly back from the beach on SANSA or Nature Air

The 3rd option is questionable as flights do get canceled or delayed and you could miss your flight home.

Only other suggestion I have is to look at the Hotel Punta Leona, roughly 1.5-2 hours from SJO. Beautiful beach accessible only through the resort. Read mixed reviews on this hotel on tripadvisor before making this decision.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 21:14
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific beaches

What about Uvita beaches? It's a lot less commercial than MA, and an hour S of Quepos.

Another suggestion (particularly if you are a surfer): Playa Hermosa, 15 minutes S of Jaco, not as commercial as MA (but it's not the South Pacific either). Jaco itself, however, is worse than MA.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,745 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific beaches

Carme91, do stay your last night before departure near the airport. It is located about 30 min outside of San Jose, near the much nicer town of Alajuela. IMO Alajuela is more Tico town then either Manuel Antonio or Tamarindo. Thus you will be able to choose between Samara, Montezuma or Uvita as your Pacific side beach locations.

4. Re: Pacific beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:19