We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

new york
Level Contributor
162 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

Okay i am sure the question has been asked tons of times but can anyone tell me how bad it actually is? We were planning on spending 8 days in Manuel Antonio. What I have read it was very bad in this area. Travelling with two small children and am not a big fan of deet. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever

As today DENGUE is very much under control...we have a lot of kids in this country and thanks God...most of them do not have any problem with Dengue...

Costa Rica have a great Health Dpt...and offer very good reports about the number of cases of Dengue...that may confuse some people...since for example Nicaragua offer a lot less cases alos Cuba...but countries like that they do no support health reports...since the health is not a importtant issue for them!

roadadivsdor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever

Dengue is a disease that's usually associated with the rainy season here since it is mosquito-borne. Right now, we are in the dry season so fewer mosquitoes and much much less dengue.

Plus -- you don't have to use a Deet product on your children to give them the protection. You can ask your pediatrician for a recommendation or just use any product not containing Deet that is safe for children. The real key is to use it faithfully and be rigorous about applying it on all exposed skin.

new york
Level Contributor
162 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever

thank you both for your response. We are planning on the end of June-July. Is that also a recommendation for the beach as well. Is that time of year considered the rainy season. Also do any other resorts spray for mosquitoes

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,995 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever

Agree with the above, season for Dengue is more or less over. June -July Dengue does not tend to be that bad, normally in the later months of the rainy season. The municipalities here do spray regularly and some hotels may on their own as well.

The chances of actually getting it are very low. Over 15 years now and I have never had it. Never really even crosses my mind unless a question comes up here in the forum. For a little perspective, last year was the worst for Dengue since I moved here in the 90's... All told it affected less than 1% of the population, so it is nothing to get alarmed about. Have a blast on vaca.

Miami Beach, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever

I am traveling with my 8 years old son to costa rica to San Jose and Arenal, in the last week of November, what are the risks in that time of getting a Dengue fever and is there any vaccine that I should take?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever

There is no vaccine for dengue. The best deterrent is to faithfully use mosquito repellent.

The areas you mention are not overwhelmed with dengue -- in fact, I've heard very little about dengue this year -- so I think you will both be fine.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever

I read somewhere that the number of dengue cases in Costa Rica has dropped significantly this year.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever

Apply repellent with DEET and should go a long way to eliminate any exposure. There is a family deep woods lotion that is great for kids sold locally. Yes there is Dengue but this year not as bad as other years. I wouldn´t let it stress you during your holiday, if you take precautions (repellent) and are here for a short time the chances of exposure are very low... Enjoy your holidays in CR!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
179 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Fever

I was also stressed regarding Dengue before my trip as I was also travelling with kids. We were in Manuel Antonio for almost 7 days in August.. We were fine and did not hear anything about Dengue while we were there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Fever

Is the lotion called Off Familycare Botanicals Lotion described as: based on an ingredient found in the lemon eucalyptus plant and provides a non-DEET alternative?