We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

Level Contributor
384 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

Can anyone recommend a area and some resorts for myself and my 11 year old son. I have not been to Costa Rica before and just starting my research. I would like to stay at a AI as I will be travelling by myself with my son. I would like to be able to do excursions, the zip line sounds interesting and seeing Monkeys, and other wildlife, good food would be nice as well. Flying out of Toronto. Thanks in advance Can you recommend resorts as well

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

Does it HAVE to be AI?

Costa Rica is not an 'AI country' like Mexico or Dom Rep etc. If you're doing all these trips etc (which is what CR is all about) then you're not going to get any value from an AI anyway.

But there are lots and lots of beautiful resorts still, you n your lucky son could still have a magical time.

How long have you got and what is your budget?

I'd be tempted to suggest El Remanso still. Magical place, great for kids, and it's what us Europeans call 'Full Board', I.e. you get all your meals included, just have to pay for your drinks.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

Really, All-Inclusive is not the best way to visit Costa Rica -- and there aren't a lot of them. Unlike other countries where AI's are so popular, Costa Rica has a good tourist infrastructure wherever you go with excellent lodging, great restaurants and lots of "things to do." It's also very safe to travel around.

Do a bit of research. www.anywherecostarica.com is a good source of information as is www.costa-rica-guide.com

As a rule of thumb, for a one-week visit, think in terms of two places. Most people opt for a mountain/volcano location such as the Arenal area and then a beach area. Don't worry too much about excursions and monkeys, etc -- they are pretty much everywhere.

Pick the area that suits you (or areas) and we can give you more specific information and recommendations plus we can discuss the best way to get to these places.

Level Contributor
384 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

Thanks for the quick reply the resorts I am looking at are around 1400 each for five to seven days out of Toronto all inclusive and including air

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,092 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

We're much better at making recommendations if you let us know what options you are considering.

We should warn you that there are a small number of AI resorts in Costa Rica and, with one exception, none of them are on particularly good beaches. The exception is the Westin Playa Conchal, the most expensive of the options. None of them are located in rainforest areas. Not to say you won't have a good time but if you are headed to Costa Rica to enjoy beautiful beaches, lush rainforest and wildlife - you won't find this combination as the AIs are all located in the dry NW corner of Costa Rica. You'll have to take daytrips offsite to enjoy the natural wonders of Costa Rica.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

Can you tell us which resorts would be included in your "package?"

I would check to see what it would cost to book your airline separately. This would give you SO MANY more options!

Level Contributor
384 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

Thanks again for your response, and I have to admit, I haven't done the proper research yet to ask the proper questions and I apologize for that. I have travelled to Barbados/St. Maarten, Cuba (several times) Mexico, and Europe/England. Costa Rica just popped up today, in my searches for a vacation for my son and I. I can see that Costa Rica is a unique place and from the little I know it looks like it's obviously not about the AI experience with a beautiful beach. I am curious though could I book a AI or one close to that and do a few days trips that would take us to the rain forest area.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

Yes, you can book an AI and take a day trip to a rainforest area - but it will be around 2 hours or more from your AI to the rainforest. There are quite a few tour agencies that pick people up at beach hotels and transport them to the Tenorio National Park for a hike through the rainforest. It will include an English-speaking guide.

If you are determined to do an AI, that's fine, but you should know that almost all of them are in the northwest of Costa Rica and for that, you will need to fly into LIR Liberia. Otherwise, it's a 4.5-5 hour trek - unless you take a domestic flight from SJO to LIR or to Tambor as suggested by crfan.

And yes, Costa Rica is not all about beaches. In fact, while there are literally more than 100 beaches, they are not the white sugar sand beaches you are used to in the Caribbean with turquoise clear water. Mostly, the beaches are light tan to black and every shade in between. They are of volcanic origin and not reef origin.

Costa Rica is about nature. And yes, you can have a lot of good "nature" experiences in a beach area and do some day trips to volcanoes or rainforests. There are boat trips through the Palo Verde National Park and One-day Adventure Passes, float trips, hiking of course, and more.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 22:21
Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

Split your vacation between Arenal/La Fortuna area and a beach town, I like Samara, Manuel Antonio on the Pacific, Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

We are not famous for AI...but to answer your question...check...Westin Playa Conchal maybe the best AI in our country ...also around there Barcelo Playa Langosta...small and nice good food...

roadadviusor

10. Re: Which Area Costa Rica All Inclusive for Mom and 11 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 06:21