We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it?

Livermore...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth it?

I'm staying on the Peninsula Papagayo and want to take my kids to hike at the Rio Celeste. How long of a drive will it end up being and it is worth the drive as a day trip?

Thanks!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth it?

It will depend on the ages of your kids and whether they have hiking experience -- and like it. And also how tolerant they are of long car rides. From Liberia, it's just under two hours to the entrance to the National Park. Most websites of lodging on the Papagayo Peninsula will provide the distance/time to Liberia.

It's about a 3 hour hike and it's not just walking down some very structured and manicured trail but can be muddy and up and down and roots, etc.

Really, a better choice would be Heliconias Lodge in Bijagua. Their rainforest property is adjacent to the National Park so you get the rainforest experience - but no giant waterfall or blue river. The trails are easy and well-maintained and feature several canopy bridges to get an incredible view of the rainforest. Heliconias is about 3 km off Highway 6 so you will save about 30-45 minutes.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 18:34
Livermore...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth it?

My kids are an adventurous 10 and 7, good at car rides and love to hike. Its about a 45 minute ride from LIB to our rental house. So I'm assuming it will be a little under 3 hours and we'll pass thru Fortuna?

When you say its a 3 hour hike, does that mean round trip? Is there an entrance fee and is it self guided or do we need to sign up for a guided tour?

Thanks for all your help!

Kara

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth it?

Er..... no. You don't go anywhere NEAR Fortuna.

You will go past LIR (not LIB which is in Australia) towards the town of Liberia which is about 20-30 minutes from LIR. At the traffic light, you will turn right onto Rt 1 and follow that until you reach Rt 6 towards Upala. Turn left onto Rt 6 and follow that to the town of Bijagua. Once in Bijagua, you will see a bunch of signs to the National Park and the Rio Celeste -- turn right here and follow this rocky gravel road to the entrance to the National Park.

From LIR to Bijagua is just under two hours and from the turnoff onto the gravel road to the entrance to the National Park is 30-40 minutes depending on the condition of the road (and your driving skills!).

The hike is a minimum of 3 hours round trip. There is an entrance fee: $10 for adults and a big discount for kids - although I can't remember exactly how much. You don't really need a guide - the trails are very evident. There are sometimes guides for hire at the entrance to the Park and it would probably be a good idea to hire one. Figure $30-$40 for the guide. It will increase your enjoyment of the hike - and licensed and professional guides are also trained in advanced first aid which is a comfort when you go hiking with children.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 19:37
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth it?

I would definitely hire a guide. Unless you don't mind crossing a waist high river by yourself! I would definitely not like that!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth it?

Well - you don't really HAVE to cross a "waist high river." But still.... a guide is a good idea.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth it?

Thank you everyone.

Sorry about the Fortuna comment, I have been researching Arenal as well and had it on my mind while I was typing that response. And I do know that the airport is LIR. Sorry if I'm offending someone.

Thanks again,

Kara

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth it?

Not offending anyone, Kara, all of us get our "fingers in a twist" from time to time. Did you get your questions answered? Let us know if you need to know something else.

8. Re: Is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 05:29