We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a global cell phone for use in Costa Rica

San Diego...
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
renting a global cell phone for use in Costa Rica

Has anyone rented a global cell phone from Verizon for use during Costa Rica vacation? My iphone 4 is not global so Verizon will rent me another phone for $19.99 plus $2.89/min for calls, 50 cents per text sent. Not sure if these phones work, or better to rent phone in Costa Rica. Or just forget about cell phones. Any feedback appreciated.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a global cell phone for use in Costa Rica

You don't need an expensive global thing -- just buy a SIM card once you are in Costa Rica and you can make very inexpensive calls, use the internet, etc. There's a kiosk at the airport - it will say "ICE" or "KOLBI." Or you can buy a SIM card at many places throughout the country as well as refill. Just make sure your Iphone is unlocked.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a global cell phone for use in Costa Rica

That would be great, but my iphone 4 cannot "unlock", since it's not global and has no SIM slot. (Newer versions like 4s would work.)

So do I get a "travel" phone from Verizon, or one in Costa Rica, or forget about having a cell?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a global cell phone for use in Costa Rica

Hi sillygranma,

The $2.89 per minute is really expensive.

Please have a look at this thread about buying a cheap phone etc.

tripadvisor.ca/…55267144

In post 6 of that thread just substitute verizon for MTS because it is the same a CDMA carrier. So unfortunately since your phone is an older one, it won't have a SIM and as you have already said, won't work. (If you had an iphone5 from Verizon, it would be an other story as they are world phones and I hear come unlocked)

Anyway, if you get a phone that can use a local CR SIM you will be paying pennies for local calls, less than 30 cents a minutes for calls to the US; all incoming calls be they local or from US or anywhere will be free to you and texts also pennies with incoming texts again no cost to you.

I don't know when you are going but if you have time, and only want a simple phone, you can pick up a basic unlocked quad band on somewhere like ebay or Kijiji for pretty cheap. Everyone has or wants "smarter" phones these days so I am people are dumping their older phones.

And if you don't want to bother with a cell phone, you can always rely on buying a local calling card and using landlines. Depends who you feel you have to stay in touch with and how crucial it is to be reachable.

Good Luck

Raquel

San Diego...
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting a global cell phone for use in Costa Rica

Thanks Raquel

How do you know if a phone is GSM-compatible? What's a "basic unlocked quad band"?

Maybe I should just stick to calling cards! I'm pretty sure that would be easier.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 04:10
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renting a global cell phone for use in Costa Rica

if a phone was for Tmobile or ATT it will be a GSM phone. Whether it is a quad band, the phones specifications will tell. For GSM CR uses the1800 frequency which is the same as used in Europe but not the same as US. So if you know someone who has an old phoned they used in Europe it will work. a quad band cover all the GSM bands used in all sorts of countries, so once you have one, you can use it in many countries..

When I say basic, what I meant was simple, not a smart phone, one that just makes phone calls and texts and does not have a lot of bells and whistles. In the link I reference to the Samsung Galaxy2 or the verykool are examples of very simple phones.

6. Re: renting a global cell phone for use in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:21