We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Way Radio Question

Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 Way Radio Question

I am talking about the two-way radios that they sell at sporting goods stores, walmart, etc that are mainly used by families and civilians. The little 15-35 mile radios that are usually bright yellow or black, etc.

Are these allowed in Costa Rica? I know they aren't allowed in certain countries (Jamaica is one), so I am wondering if I can bring them into Costa Rica.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Way Radio Question

As far as I know, there is no restriction. I used something similar (although not with the range you are talking about) when I owned a farm and wanted to call Mario who was working on the other side of the farm.

But these days, people just use cell phones since everyone has one.

2. Re: 2 Way Radio Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 15:59
Edited: 07 February 2014, 15:59
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Way Radio Question

Thank you, good to know.

Well, these type of two way radios advertise those mile ratings, but that is only if you are in a wide open area, free from any obstructions such as hills, trees, buildings, etc. Mine advertise 25 miles, but I only get close to that number when I'm out on the water. In the city, with buildings in the way, I get about 2-3 miles at best. In the woods I'll get maybe 3-5 miles.

I'll be interested to see if they will reach from the house on top of the hill in Manuel Antonio, to the public beach and park, as we won't be using our cellphones.

Thank you!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Way Radio Question

At the risk of seeming intrusive...... why won't you be using your cell phones? Seems like the easiest and most "guaranteed" way of communicating. No issues with buildings or those pesky trees or inconvenient hills.

1. Cheap cell phones

2. SIM cards - around $10 each

3. Local calls 34 colones a minute...... text 3 colones each. So cheap you can hardly deal with the zeroes if you do the math.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 16:18
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Way Radio Question

Basically, I guess we don't want to deal with having iPhones being around the water and sand... or with worrying about someone stealing an iPhone that is sitting in a beach bag. I have a LifeProof case on mine, but I really just don't want to worry about it... I don't know.

The radios are waterproof, shock proof, etc.

Also... I am always trying to find a way to get some use out of those stupid radios I bought!!!!! :)

---------------------

On another note, is data "cheap" on the SIM cards?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Way Radio Question

I hear you.

But your cell phones don't HAVE to be Iphones - you can buy and use cheap non-Iphones. And - plastic bags.

You think that a radio sitting in a beach bag is not a target? Basically, ANYTHING UNATTENDED is a target. People have had towels, flip flops and sunglasses stolen at the beach while they go swimming. Don't think you can just leave a beach bag sitting on a beach and go swimming and return and it will be there... untouched.

Anyway - I'm sure you will do the best for you and your family. Just some food for thought.

And yes.... data is cheap using the SIM cards. Not sure of the exact price - but - it's in line with the rest of the pricing.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 16:49
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Way Radio Question

For data, you can either do pay as you go and pay and pay by the Kbyte

From the Kolbi website :

El precio del Kbyte trasegado tanto para los datos enviados como recibidos es de ₡0.00858 (I.V.I).*

Or else, as part of your prepaid money on your SIM you can sign up for either daily or monthly service by just sending a text to 6060.

the details and what you get for what amount are laid out here

http://www.grupoice.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjg2CT4BBHX0fjMEcTA08fCwtXAxdXIwtHM6B8JFDe3c_RKBQoHxQabGjgaWnhZuzt6eTl7G1EjO4QL0N_D2cLEwP30GAjA0_DkIAgN3N_4-AAY2J0G-AAjgb4dPuaQ12OWx6_3X4e-bmp-gW5oaGhEeWKAMqYWXU!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjBTNFNUQU1BM1ZBNDBJTDg4RTBERTI4QTY!/#

I personally have only used the date on the per Kbyte basis as for most of my internet I rely on wi fi. But I am not walking around with a phone that I rely on for things like GPS or maps or other apps that I use constantly. I mainly will use date to check email when I am out of range of wi fi or maybe to do a bit of web browsing.

The coverage for cell phones in Costa Rica is quite good and constantly improving. But there are still some dead spots. At one time, you could not get any cell signal anywhere within about a mile of the beach/park. They have built some new towers though. But I don't know for example how the reception currently is in the park. And i know there are some parts of CR, though as I said, becoming fewer every day that still don't get reliable cell service.

Raquel

Since the ICE link does not appear to work try this for the data plans info

http://tinyurl.com/mq8zdnu

Edited: 07 February 2014, 17:31
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Way Radio Question

Bring them no problem at all!

roadadvisor

9. Re: 2 Way Radio Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:21