We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving

Is it safe to drive from Ocotal, Playa del coco to La Fortuna and Arénal?

Do we need to bring a child seat for my 5 year old, or can the rental company provide us with one?

Is it better to take the shuttle?

If we take the shuttle, do we need a car seat?

Thank you so much!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,311 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving

Safe as ... not being kidnapped?! Yes, it is that safe.

A serious rental company should be able to provide a child seat; it is obligatory to use it.

No, it is better to self drive. It is less stressful using a shuttle (door-to-door delivery, no worries about directions, ...)

Hmmm, a tough one. I suppose yes, OTOH I have never seen a child seat in the bus, but plenty of kids on them ... so figure out ;))

You are welcomed!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving

Your destinations are "safe" to drive to and all in all, pretty easy. Just slow down and pay attention. Having your own car is the very best way to see Costa Rica - especially with children. You will have so much more freedom and flexibility.

Taxis, shuttles and rental car companies are required by law to provide child seats. You will need to give them advance notice.

Public bus does not require car seats nor does anyone use them!

3. Re: Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 06:20