We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much coffee to bring back?

Rice Lake, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How much coffee to bring back?

There a several posts on this, looks like up to $500 worth is no problem, but I'm looking for feedback on how much you can actually store and retain quality once you have it back at home. I'm seeing info saying that you can store it up to a month in a freezer, and then need to use it within 2 weeks after taking it out. I'm sure this can be stretched, but likely with a compromise on the freshness and taste.

Does anyone have experience with this, that can offer up opinions and tips on storing coffee? Last week before pura vida, and need to figure out how much space to allow for coffee on the way back :)

Thanks,

Dave

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much coffee to bring back?

Buy whole "green" (unroasted) beans if you can - they last longer. Otherwise, buy whole roasted beans.

There are as many different opinions about this as there are coffee drinkers. I have brought coffee to my son from Costa Rica and he has kept it as long as 3 months with no diminishing in the flavor. He keeps the unopened bags in the freezer. But once they are opened, don't refrigerate or re-freeze.. keep in a cool place and a dark place if you put them in a clear or translucent container.

Of course, you could bring a whole suitcase full and give a lot of them away as gifts!

Edited: 15 February 2014, 15:13
Rice Lake, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much coffee to bring back?

Thanks Hattie... Not sure I want to roast at home, will look into it, but I certainly will be bringing home coffee for gifts! And chocolate!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much coffee to bring back?

You can kill two birds with one stone and bring home chocolate covered coffee beans!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much coffee to bring back?

I am always buying roasted beans, and upon returning home, I store it in the freezer. I have opened and drunk some coffee from 2008 in early 2013; to me it seems just as good as fresh one. I have packages per 1 kg; when I open it I take about 1/4 of beans, and put the rest back to freezer. Then I leave the beans to dry naturally, for about a day, and grind them afterward. So far so good.

Rice Lake, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much coffee to bring back?

Wow, 5 years in the freezer is outstanding!! If this 1st trip of ours to Costa Rica is all I believe it will be, I won't need to keep coffee near that long :) on the other hand, we can check 200 lbs of luggage between my wife and I... Appears there is no worries on keeping coffee, thanks xelas!

6. Re: How much coffee to bring back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:16