We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica itinerary

Haifa
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica itinerary

Hey!

My wife and myself are going to Costa Rica in late April.

What do you think of the next itinerary:

Arrive to San Jose and spend the night near the airport.

Drive to Manuel Antonio and stay there for 2 nights.

Drive to Monteverde and stay there for 2 nights.

Drive to Arenal Volcano and stay there for 3 days.

Drive to Tortuguero Park and stay there for 2 nights.

Drive to Puerto Viejo and stay there for 2 night.

Drive to San Jose airport and go home..

What do you think? Is it feasible? I want to rent a car when I arrive to san jose and return it there...

Thanks for the help!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica itinerary

1. The airport is in Alajuela which is about 30 minutes from San Jose. There is lodging of all sorts and all prices not far from the airport for your first night.

2. I think I would skip Manuel Antonio and add those nights somewhere else. Just too much driving. Look here: www.yourtravelmap.com for distances and travel times.

3. Go to Monteverde first, then Arenal, Tortuguero and Puerto Viejo.

4. You can't drive to Tortuguero - but - you can drive to Pavona for the boat to Tortuguero. There is secure parking there for a fee. When you return, you can drive to Puerto Viejo. www.tortuguerovillage.com

Nice itinerary - I would add a day in Arenal and add a day in Puerto Viejo and skip Manuel Antonio. Keep in mind you may need to spend your last night somewhere near the airport.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica itinerary

I agree with Hattie. Every one of those drives is going to kill a 1/2 day or more so if you move every 2 days you really only have a full day to see each place which is not nearly enough. A revised itinerary with 1 night Alajuela (near SJO)/Monteverde 2 nites/Arenal 3 nites/Tortuguero 2 nites, Puerto Viejo 4 nites would be a much more relaxed trip.

Most visitors stay south of Puerto Viejo outside town but within walking distance of the beach. See www.puertoviejosatellite.com for more info on the area. You need a 1/2 day to visit the Jaguar Rescue Center, at least a 1/2 day for hiking and beach time at Cahuita National Park, more if you'd like to snorkel off a boat. Be sure and hire a guide for a full day's hike in Gandoca Manzanillo Reserve, maybe a surfing lesson or fishing trip or a daytrip upriver to visit the indigenous people in Yorkin.

Don't forget that it's a 4-5 hour drive back to SJO so unless you have an afternoon or evening departure you should consider heading back toward the airport the day before your departure.

Hope you have a great trip & let us know if you have any specific questions.

3. Re: Costa Rica itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 05:18