We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best region for first visit?

Everett...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Best region for first visit?

Planning on late June early July. 50s couple. Interested mostly in wildlife, fishing, snorkeling, beach combing, visiting at least one waterfall. At this point planning on 10-12 days. I would prefer not to have to do a lot of driving in this first visit, but would enjoy leisurely driving to see off the beaten path sites. Should we stay in one place and travel to our destinations or plan on staying at two different locations? No preference of airport. If it were your first trip, where would you go?

The amount of information to plan this has been overwhelming. Thank you for your welcome advice.

Everett...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best region for first visit?

Hoping someone can help. I was thinking the Dominical area? Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Dominical
Dominical
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best region for first visit?

Stay at two locations, Arenal/La Fortuna and a beach destination. I love the Caribbean side of the country, around Puerto Viejo, everything you want is there. Dominical is very nice too, though it might get a little rainy.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
892 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
546 Reviews
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Dominical
Dominical
3. Re: Best region for first visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 09:40
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best region for first visit?

Honestly, there is no best place to stay. Each microclimate system has its own attractions, much depends on what you are looking for. High end, small and boutique style accommodations are spread all over the country. There are not many really off the beaten path locations left in Costa Rica; however there are some that have fewer, smaller and more spread around lodges, and others that are more congested with hotels, tour agencies and tourists.

As a beach destination, less frequented and more tranquil are Puerto Viejo on Caribbean side and Uvita on Pacific side. Both has enough to offer for a week or so, between beach and nature. Osa Peninsula is a destination in itself, very remote and pristine but comes with a higher price tag. In the central mountain range is the haven for birders - Cerro de la Muerte area.

You should stay at 2 locations, and your arrival and departure airport should be San Jose / SJO.

Saying all above, also north of San Jose there are beautiful off the beaten path places, like Rincon de la Vieja, Cano Negro and Tenorio. But that part will be covered by an expert for that area.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Uvita
Uvita
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Hotel Cerro Lodge
Hotel Cerro Lodge
339 Reviews
Tarcoles, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Tenorio Lodge
Tenorio Lodge
345 Reviews
Bijagua de Upala, Costa Rica
Everett...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best region for first visit?

Thanks for the feedback. If we would stay in either Dominical or Uvita, can you give specifics for places to go other than Corocavado and Cano (?) island? Are there interior volcanoes, thermal springs, cloud forests that would be an enjoyable day trip from there? My original thought was to save the northern area for another trip. Thoughts?

I def want a small boutique style place to stay. Have even considered the "fancy" tents offered by some. We're used and enjoy roughing it, and really want something to experience the "experience." Hope that makes sense!

Mentioned in this post
Dominical
Dominical
Uvita
Uvita
Cano Island
Cano Island
852 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best region for first visit?

Within a couple of hours by car, you can reach: Manuel Antonio NP (closed on Mondays), Hacienda Baru Wildlife Reserve (excellent early morning guided birding), Sierpe River, and in the mountains, San Gerardo de Dota (cloud forest and birding). Closer to Uvita/Dominical yet still in the mountains you can do a horseback riding tour to El Diamante waterfall with Rancho Tranquillo. Even a full day driving to Puerto Jimenez and back is feasible, with the newly paved road. Those volcanos known to me are too far away (Turrialba, Irazu, ...). No thermal springs either, as far as I know. There is Cerro Chirripo, tallest mountain in Costa Rica, with a 2-day hike to its summit. A very long day would drive you to Wilson Botanical Gardens near San Vito (yet having an overnight is much better).

An example of a small boutique style of place in that area is Tkivillas Rainforest Lodge. There are many others, similarly small and nice ones. "Fancy" tents is more Africa safari style of accommodation, not so often found in Costa Rica. Wooden structures are much more popular, and nicer, IMHO.

Whenever you will stay out of bigger hotels/resorts, and you will have an "open mind and open heart" attitude, experiencing the "experience" is almost guaranteed. Hope that makes sense!

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Hacienda Baru
Hacienda Baru
354 Reviews
Dominical, Costa Rica
San Gerardo de Dota
San Gerardo de Dota
Province of San Jose, Costa Rica
Uvita
Uvita
Dominical
Dominical
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Turrialba
Turrialba
Province of Cartago, Costa Rica
Hotel Cerro Lodge
Hotel Cerro Lodge
339 Reviews
Tarcoles, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
La Tigra Rainforest Lodge
La Tigra Rainforest Lodge
79 Reviews
La Tigra, Costa Rica
Everett...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best region for first visit?

Thanks, xelas! It does make sense. Am I right in thinking that the northern areas are more developed/touristy than southern? Or not necessarily? From what I've read, I'm even somewhat apprehensive about going to MA bc I've read of the crowds and tame critters. I guess that's why I was leaning towards the southern end.

What is in the Puerto Jimenez region?

Also, is there any benefit to staying in a hotel vs renting a home out for a week?

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best region for first visit?

Tamarindo surely is, yet only the narrow stretch along the coast. Rest of Guanacaste province, Nicoya peninsuia, and everything inland between Nicaraguan border and San Jose is pretty much devoid of larger tourist centres (excluding Monteverde and La Fortuna/Arenal, of course).

Manuel Antonio, in my book, is the most touristy place in Costa Rica (have not been to Tamarindo). It has plenty of hotels and restaurants and nightlife and a (tame) NP and is OK for whoever wanted to take Costa Rica in 3-day package, yet south of it things are much much better.

Puerto Jimenez is the largest town (village) on Osa Peninsula, and Osa Peninsula is home to Corcovado NP, and as such excellent base for whoever wants to enter Corcovado on foot. And nearby Cabo Matapalo is teeming with same wildlife as Corcovado (less tapirs). Most accommodations in Cabo Matapalo are in high-end lodges (full board) or in houses to rent.

Personally I enjoy mingling with similar minded travellers so I always opt for a (small) lodge. YMMV.

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Nicoya
Nicoya
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
546 Reviews
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
892 Reviews
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park
Cabo Matapalo
Cabo Matapalo
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best region for first visit?

Again, I think you'll love Puerto Viejo area, especially if you stay around Punta Uva. Not quite as far as Osa, and much more affordable.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best region for first visit?

I stayed in the Mono Congo room at Rio Magnolia Ecolodge about 1 hour from Dominical up in the mountains. It's a terrific place, the owners are very friendly and have a small coffee operation on their extensive property. You definitely need a good 4x4, our Terios was a little underpowered. That, combined with whatever hotel/resort/bnb appeals in the Dominical/Uvita area would be a nice trip. There would be a lot of diversity between the 2 without the long drives between Arenal and the central pacific area that would eat up days. Manuel Antonio is an easy day trip if you wanted to check it out. I seem to be in the minority, but I really like it there. It's set up for tourists, but it's not tacky, and there is a lot of opportunity to see wildlife, especially squirrel monkeys, which aren't everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Mono Congo
Cafe Mono Congo
656 Reviews
Dominical, Costa Rica
Dominical
Dominical
Uvita
Uvita
Arenal Lodge