We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose bus stations at night?

Boston...
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
San Jose bus stations at night?

Hello! My sister and I (two females in our 20s) are traveling to Costa Rica next week. We're mainly taking local buses to get around, and two of the nights we'll end up in San Jose (back from MA and from Arenal). I've been hearing that the bus stations are dangerous and that people shouldn't be out in San Jose at night. Is it really that bad? Like even if we want to grab something for dinner, we should get it ahead of time when it's light outside? It would be nice to be able to do things when it's early yet dark (6~10pm). And if it's indeed impossibly dangerous, what's the best way to get to our hostel (are there taxis nearby? Is it a walkable city? Or should we try to avoid getting in late?) Thanks!!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose bus stations at night?

The bus stations will have taxis waiting, so your best bet is to grab one that has the triangle on the side to show it is an official cab. It is not impossibly dangerous but keep a sensible head on your shoulders and don't go strolling around aimlessly.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose bus stations at night?

There will be taxis at the bus stations and yes after dark you should use taxis to get around. San Jose is a big sprawling city - walkable city during daylight but not smart to do so after dark. I wouldn't worry about getting in late - just budget a few dollars for the tsxi ride or stay overnight in Alajuela instead of San Jose. Alajuela is the town just outside of San Jose and the airport is actually located in Aljuela.

Boston...
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose bus stations at night?

Okay great -- thanks so much for your help! This definitely soothes any worries. :-) I've traveled in some high-crime countries / parts of the US before but it's good to know what to expect ahead of time. Leaving for the airport in 15 minutes -- super excited now!!

4. Re: San Jose bus stations at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 06:18