We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

Hi - we'd like to fly to Panama, then internal to Bocas del Toro, to stay for a few days then cross to Costa Rica, and fly home from San Jose. Is the BCT border OK to do this? We'd have flights already booked home, so would have proof of onward journey.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,714 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

Yes, there is regular flow of tourists bewteen Bocas del Toro/Panama and Puerto Viejo/Costa Rica (and vice versa). Check out Caribe Shuttle http://caribeshuttle.com/ for details on transfer (much easier to cross the border with a tour then on your own).

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

Thanks - I just wasn't sure if we were OK to go home via CR rather than back into Panama. I'll check out the shuttle website, thanks!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,714 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

If you do have time, staying a couple of nights in Costa Rica will give you some great wildlife sightings. Between BdT and San Jose, you could visit Puerto Viejo, Tortuguero and Sarapiqui.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

Yes, we stayed near PV before which was fantastic, so want to do this again, but combine BdT this time!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,714 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

Perfect plan! Let me (us) know how it went, as one day I would like to visit BdT also. Safe trails!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

Hi - just to let you know we had a great time in Bocas - we stayed about 20km away on Coral Cay (see my review for Coral Cay Cabins) its very peaceful and away from it all. Zapatillas islands are an easy trip from Coral Cay, which the cabin owner can organise for you. I liked Bocas, a bit like PV but maybe not so laid back - noisier on a night maybe! Travel and transfers to Costa Rica were easy with Caribe Shuttle - thanks for the advice! Hope you get to go there one day!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,714 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

Great, Bew, and thanks for replying back with useful info. I will look at Coral Cay Cabins. And it might be already next January!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

Wow! Well, I hope you get there! Its great, the cabin we stayed in was pretty basic but the place itself more than makes up for any lack of luxury!

9. Re: Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:15