We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another cell phone/sim card question

3 posts
Save Topic
another cell phone/sim card question

I've taken my samsung galaxy s4 to europe with no problem using a local sim card there. Planning on getting one for Kolbi when in Costa Rica in March. We have a local (VERY local) carrier here in rural Oklahoma and their tech department is non-existent. I know the band's for the s4 will match up with those used in CR for regular use and 3G, but have no idea about the "lock/unlocking" of the phone I've seen posts about. Since I've used in overseas before, I'm guessing its unlocked?? How the heck would I know otherwise?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,516 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another cell phone/sim card question

If the phone is "locked" it refuses to accept/work with other carrier's SIM cards. Since you have used a "foreign" = local SIM card in Europe, you will be able to use it also in Costa Rica.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,258 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another cell phone/sim card question

Yes, if you were able to use your phone with a local SIM card in Europe and had a local number in that country it means your phone is unlocked.

If a phone is locked it just means it is programmed only to be used on a specific carrier and if you put in another carrier's SIM it will basically reject it and give you an error message. So if a phone is unlocked it means it is open for use on other SIM carriers.

If you want to test it, find someone who is on a different carrier than you - in the US the SIM carriers are ATT and T mobile. Ask them if you can slip their SIM into your phone and see if it works..

raquel.

Kentwood, Michigan
Level Contributor
132 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another cell phone/sim card question

I used Kolbi when I was there in Jan and had great performance and coverage.

Minneapolis...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another cell phone/sim card question

I'm curious if anyone has experience in using an HTC one phone in CR? I believe (but not positive) the droid or open source phones are unlocked. The Iphone's are generally the ones locked. Just wondering if the HTC one band will work with CR cell technology?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,258 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another cell phone/sim card question

mark, you may be confusing unlocking and jailbreaking. Apple phone must be jailbroken to use various non Apple approved apps etc. but they may or may not actually come unlocked (which is the case with the newer iphones from Verizon). if you got your phone from a phone company at a discount as part of a plan, there is a good chance it is locked to that carrier. . You would have to check with your carrier. If you bought it elsewhere, like at the HTC web store or ebay etc. as an unlocked phone thats what it should be. One way of checking is finding a friend who uses a different provider and swapping SIMS and see if their SIM is accepted in your phone and if you dial their number it rings on your phone.

If your phone is indeed unlocked, it will work in costa rica as from the specs it looks like it supports the bands needed. if it is locked, check with your provider to see if they will unlock it.

raquel

Minneapolis...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another cell phone/sim card question

Oh Raquel...you are correct, I was thinking jailbreak not unlock. I believe I can unlock my phone failry easliy and for a small charge. I will look into that and if that works, I should just be able to get a sim card in CR and go that way. Do you know how much the sim cards are through the cell company there?

7. Re: another cell phone/sim card question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:21