We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spontineity vs Itinerary

Everett...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Spontineity vs Itinerary

I know it is doable, but it is feasible? I have read so many posts on here regarding time frames, driving distances, etc, but I'm wondering would it be better to plan as you go once arrived? I'm talking green season, not high!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spontineity vs Itinerary

Of course you can do it without preplanned itinerary. You will cover as much as you will cover. If there is n "must see" in your mind, you will be more then OK. Every day in Costa Rica is a well spent day!

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
448 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spontineity vs Itinerary

Yes it's doable and feasible in green season! It's the only way I've ever done it. I think it's best to have a general idea of the locations you would like to visit, and maybe the first night hotel if you have to spend the night near the airport and definitely have the rental car booked ahead. After that we drive to the first location we had in mind, have a drive around town to scout out everything, and find a hotel for the amount of time we think we might want to stay. We also just show up at the activity places ( zip lines, etc) and book directly with them. You also have the flexibility to change your plans and head to the next location at any time. We did this a few times when we were chasing the sunshine and decided to head to Guanacaste. We've never had a problem finding hotel rooms but we are also not very picky (have to be clean though) and prefer budget cabinas to 4-5 star hotels.

Everett...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spontineity vs Itinerary

YES! Kayekaye! That's exactly what I'm talking about! I would love to do this. Did you actually try it your first time there? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
448 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spontineity vs Itinerary

Our first visit was out honeymoon and we had a package for AI at the Allegro Papagayo. On the third day ( of 8 already prepaid), we rented a car and escaped for the rest of the trip! I just felt trapped at the AI, like I was missing everything great about Costa Rica...and I was. Absolutely loved everything about traveling on our own and that's what we've done every time now ( August will be our 8th trip in 6 years).

For your first visit I would recommend avoiding San Jose and fly into Liberia if you can. It's so much easier as far as lack of traffic and being able to get use to how things "work". Also make sure you rent a GPS. Don't leave stuff visible in your car, we've not had any problems but lots of people do. We travel with just a small backpack and place it in a plastic trash bag from home on days when we're switching locations. It just looks like trash if anyone glances in our SUV. You can get laundry done anywhere you're staying at least 2 nights so don't take a lot of stuff.

Have fun!

Everett...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spontineity vs Itinerary

Sounds like a great idea! Thanks for all the tips! I wonder how it would be to fly into Liberia and fly out of SJO?

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
448 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spontineity vs Itinerary

On our upcoming trip in August we are flying into SJO and out of LIR, which works great as far as logistics to see the most of the country without having to back track. Just be aware the rental companies usually charge $100 for returning to a different location. If you fly out of San Jose you'll need to spend the night in Alajuela the night before...unless you have a late flight.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,651 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spontineity vs Itinerary

Go for during Green season most hotels are wide open...September ...October and Nobember great weather at the Caribbean side of our country...SUMMER TIME BEACH TIME!

roadadvisor

8. Re: Spontineity vs Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:24