We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go with a family of five?

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
58 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go with a family of five?

Need some help! we are two adults, three teens traveling to costa rica next month (march), flying in and out of san jose. Cant decide on an itinerary....there are some many places to see. We want a "nature" trip with the opportunity to see many animals. Also, some activity for the kids, zip line, white water rafting etc. Since we live in Florida, relaxing on the beach and water sports is not that appealing to us since we do this all the time. We want a jungle experience. We have 8 days in Costa Rica. THanks for your help!!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,672 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go with a family of five?

my suggestion given what you say you are looking for is the Arenal area and then somewhere in the Osa Peninsula.

Some will depend on your budget and also how much travelling you want to do within the country.

Pura vida

Raquel

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
891 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Pura Vida Hotel
Pura Vida Hotel
812 Reviews
Alajuela, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go with a family of five?

Maybe...Monteverde Cloud Forest...then Arenal Volcano área...then Saraiqui...and then back to SJO...

Very much everything you are looking for..and is a big circle trip...

From SJO to Monteverde about 3 hours...

From Monteverde to Arenal...take the jeep boat jeep...

From Arenal to Sarapiquí you can even rent a car is about 2 .5 hours even less great road...

From Sarapiquí to SJO a bout 2.5 hours...nice roada all the way and you can return your car at terminal!

roadadisor

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve
Monteverde Cloud Forest...
Monteverde, Costa Rica
Arenal Volcano National Park
Arenal Volcano National...
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
891 Reviews
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,280 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go with a family of five?

With 8 full days (so arrival and departure datey should be outside of 8 days) got for Monteverde 2 days, Arenal 3 days and Sarapiqui 3 days. Otherwise skip Monteverde.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
891 Reviews
Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui
Province of Heredia, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go with a family of five?

One of the best places is Corcovado and Drake Bay, have bunch of activities and the place is amanzing. You see lots of animals and takes you less than an hour to get there by plane. The hotels have tours and more for you. Just take a look, you can go by plane like the airline Sansa, find more here www.flysansa.com

Mentioned in this post
Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
58 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go with a family of five?

I didn't see manuel antonio listed in any of the above itineraries. Would anyone recommend this area for wildlife and activites for teens?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,672 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go with a family of five?

manuel Antonio is definitely a good choice as there are lots of options for activities, wildlife and some nice beaches. I often recommend it. However, the reason I went with the Osa was that i figured since beaches we re not a priority you might be looking for something a bit less developed with let us say wilder wildlife. I think others suggested the places they did for the same reason.

Raquel

Edited: 27 February 2014, 19:33
Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go with a family of five?

I think MA is great. Nice beaches, good restaurants, lots of monkeys. This is a very user friendly area.

Playa del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go with a family of five?

Our teenagers loved MA so much it prompted us to build a house there. In Costa Rica the jungle goes all the way to the beach so you have both. Jungle is everywhere and so are many many activities. But that pertains to most of CR. Your teenagers are going to love this trip!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
58 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go with a family of five?

Thanks for all the responses. I am working on my itinerary. If I have to chose between monteverde cloud forest or Arenal Volcano due to time constraints which destination is the most recommended. We will also be going to ma and pacure lodge (dont know the city). We want something different from ma an pacure. Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
58 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go with a family of five?

Thanks to the msg from roadadvisor. Wondering if possible to see monteverde cloud forest and arenal. when you say "boat, jeep, boat" what is the travel time on this?