We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking Panama and Costa Rica

South Williamsport...
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Backpacking Panama and Costa Rica

I'm in the beginning planning stages for a summer backpacking trip for three people. Most likely flying round trip Panama City. Open jaw is just too costly for this trip and San Jose is about $200 more per ticket, so Panama City it is. We have about 17-20 days. Our main goal is to explore Coast Rica.

Since we are backpacking, we'll be slumming it in hostels and public transportation along the way.

I have a list of about 10 places as far as Granada, Nicaragua. However, I think that might be a little too far out of the way. Not to mention too many stops in such a short amount of time.

My questions are:

In our time span(17ish days), what places would you consider priority to hit along the way?

How many days would you recommend staying at these places?

What hostels and bus transport do you think are best?

(Prefer hostels that less than $20/night)

Also, any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tiffany

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,916 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking Panama and Costa Rica

Not an expert on hostels prices but Costa Rica is relatively expensive destination. However there are many hostels around, and most are clean and had good reviews.

Travelling around it using public transport will take time, so you will need to narrow down your targets. From Panama City to San Jose you can take overnight bus.

To get the first idea about the country you are going to visit, read several trip reports, both on this forum and on web.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking Panama and Costa Rica

Maybe scale it back to five places. my suggestion is Bocas del Toro, Panama, Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean Coast, San Jose, Arenal/La Fortuna, Tamarindo, and the on to Granada if time allows.

3. Re: Backpacking Panama and Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:20