We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Days in Costa Rica

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
8 Days in Costa Rica

Hey all!

I'll be traveling on my own for 8 days in May and since time is limited, I'm torn about what to do. So far, I'm thinking to spend a day in San Jose when I arrive, then visit Corcovado National Park (perhaps doing an overnight stay at Sirena Lodge) and then visiting Mt Arenal. But friends have told me not to miss out on Monteverde Cloud Forest and since I'm an avid scuba diver, not to miss out on that either. Are those all do-able in a week?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Days in Costa Rica

You really can't do all of that in a week. Corcovado and Arenal are far apart, and adding Monteverde would be too much in 8 days. Stick with two locations.

You could head to Corcovado and scuba dive Cano Island, but honestly, the snorkeling and diving in Costa Rica is not great, and not worth going out of the way for (not that Cano Island is out of the way of a Corcovado... It's not, but if you want to add Arenal, you won't be able to fit in the diving).

Also, you will likely need to take local flights from the Corcovado area to Arenal if you want enough time to do both and enjoy it.

Others will chime in with more details and suggestions...

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Days in Costa Rica

Even with only Corcovado and Arenal you will need to fly between these two destinations. With only 8 days exact timing is essential. Check out both Nature Air and Sansa Air flight times to Drake Bay (this is the place you needed to be) and you just might have a connection to Drake Bay the same day. If not then stay near the airport, in Alajuela. Drake Bay is 4 days minimum (arrival, to Corcovado out of Corcovado and departure). Then fly to Arenal via San Jose if the flight times will connect. If not get a shuttle or private driver or rent a car. It is 3 hrs from airport/Alajuela to La Fortuna/Arenal.

If you are planning to do scuba diving, that is another day, and it is best to allocated all of your days to Drake Bay area.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 20:41
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Days in Costa Rica

It really depends on what YOU want to do, not what friends recommend. Does the idea of a cloud forest really excite you? If not, no need to see Monteverde. Scuba is supposed to be decent near Cano Island, but no one puts it in the same league as Belize or the Yucatan.

Arenal? Again, not a mandatory stop, especially if you're doing Corcovado (volcano is not active, so essentially it's a mountain of modest height though impressive in shape).

Fwiw, there are cloud forests and volcanos very close to San Jose-Poas and Irazu volcanoes, Tapanti and even Poas for cloud forests.

Given your interests, I'd probably do Drake Bay, with an overnight in Corcovado (or two nights) plus a scuba trip to Cano Island, then figure out from there whether you want to make the extra arrangements to see a volcano or cloud forest.

4. Re: 8 Days in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 06:15