We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bijagua and Arenal? Finalizing itinerary- any advice?

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Bijagua and Arenal? Finalizing itinerary- any advice?

I am planning a 17 day trip to CR for my husband and me in late July. Here is my plan:

Day 1: Arrive in San Jose - explore

Day 2: Rio Tropicales rafting trip -to and from San Jose

Days 3: Rental car- drive to Dominical- Waterfall Villas- 3 nights- spend afternoon at Marino Ballena NP

Day 4: Nauyaca Waterfalls on horseback

Day 5: 1/2 day Mangrove Kayak - Dominical

Days 6-10: Shuttle to Sierpe- boat to Las Cotingas -4 nights Drake Bay

Four days of activities planned: scuba diving, day hike to Sirena in Corcovado, Rio Clare tour, The Divine Dolphin tour

Days 11- Fly from Drake Bay to SJO- Drive to Tenorio Lodge- relax/explore/dinner/hot tub

Celebrate anniversary

Day 12: Rio Celeste Hike (any good guides to recommend?) drive to Arenal Observatory Lodge- Eco Termales in evening

Day 13: morning hike at AOL, Sky Trek/Sky Tram, La Fortuna

Day 14: shuttle to Montezuma- Ylang Ylang- 3 nights- tent cabin

Day 15: guided tour of Curu Park and stop at El Chorro waterfall

Day 16: walk to Montezuma Falls

Day 17: Fly from Tambor to SJO- fly home

I had originally planned to stay at AOL for 3 nights. After discovering Tenorio Lodge (and since Rio Celeste was already a must-do for me), I would really like to stay there. I was thinking of staying there 1 night and then AOL- 2 nights. Do you think that is enough time for Tenorio Lodge? Or should I consider dropping AOL and spending all 3 nights in Tenorio? Or I could keep Arenal and take a day from Drake Bay to give to Tenorio?

Thoughts??? Thanks in advance!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bijagua and Arenal? Finalizing itinerary- any advice?

Very interesting itinerary. Many wildlife highlights there. Personally I would have more down time at Ylang Ylang ... yet you surely are younger and more energetic. And I hate 1-night stays, so would skip a day at Drake Bay and stayed 2 nights at Tenorio Lodge. Anyway, you will enjoy the trip, and the anniversary!

Edited: 03 March 2014, 08:08
Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bijagua and Arenal? Finalizing itinerary- any advice?

Thank you! I am very excited and I love the itinerary:) My husband would probably agree with more down time at Ylang Ylang. But, our flights are already booked, so I can't add days. With so many beautiful and exciting things to see and do, I'm having trouble taking anything out to add in more down time. Though each time we switch locations, I have basically nothing planned for our arrival day so that will be some down time here and there. Thanks for the feedback!

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bijagua and Arenal? Finalizing itinerary- any advice?

Xelas- I am thinking more about what you said. I'm wondering if I should take out a day at Drake Bay and skip the dolphin/whale tour since we will already be going to Cano Island for diving. If so, I could add a day to either Tenorio or Ylang Ylang for more relaxation. Thoughts on this? Is it worth the time and $ for a dolphin tour when I am already going diving and might see dolphins then?

If I do take away the one day at Drake Bay, would you add it to Tenorio, Ylang Ylang, or Dominical?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bijagua and Arenal? Finalizing itinerary- any advice?

That was my line of thoughts also, as on the boat trip to Cano Island you might also look for dolphins. I would add a day to Tenorio, as I hate 1-night stays. And Rio celeste hike was quite demanding so I would hate to drive after it all the way to AOL. Better take it easy, and enjoy another slow night at Tenorio Lodge, maybe an early morning hike there and slow drive to AOL.

5. Re: Bijagua and Arenal? Finalizing itinerary- any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:19