We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Planning Part 1 of Trip

Ft Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
135 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Help Planning Part 1 of Trip

Thanks to all the great feedback and amazing depth of information in this forum. I am one step closer to planning our Costa Rica trip. We will either end or begin with a stay in Uvita at the Rancho Pacifico. Lots to see and do in the area and a dive trip for my husband to Isla del Cano. Whew!

Now the hard part... I am torn for the first half of the tour. I know I want to stay two nights in Monteverde but what else? We live in Florida so we're looking for things that we can't get at home like waterfalls, monkeys and adventure. I love horseback riding. I am thinking about:

1) Poas Crater and La Paz Waterfall area - the volcano looks amazing. Will get up at 7am and hope for no clouds. What else to do in that area?

2) Rio Celeste and Tenorio National Park - Love the blue waters!

3) Montezuma - the ferry ride, the beach bungalows, the laid back remote vibe, the waterfalls. Kinda love it all

3) 3 day/2 night Pacuare tour - Or maybe just one night. Could I hook that to Poas?

Travel agent had us going over to Tortuguero. We have sea turtle nesting and the EVerglades here so...meh.

Fire away!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Uvita
Uvita
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Rancho Pacifico
Rancho Pacifico
544 Reviews
Uvita, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Florida
Florida
United States
Rio Celeste
Rio Celeste
1,312 Reviews
Tenorio Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
Tenorio National Park
Tenorio National Park
109 Reviews
Costa Rica
Montezuma
Montezuma
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
587 Reviews
Pacuare River, Costa Rica
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Planning Part 1 of Trip

The things you have chosen are pretty spread out. Tenorio and the Rio Celeste are 4.5 hours from the San Jose area, Montezuma is 5 hours from the San Jose area and 6 hours from Tenorio.

The Pacuare tour is fine - whether you do one or two nights is really up to you.

You could do the Poas/La Paz one day, the Pacuare for 3 days, on to Tenorio, Monteverde and Montezuma and from there to Uvita and then back to Alajuela for your trip home. Since you live in Ft Lauderdale and you are not interested in seeing Tortuguero because you think it's similar to the Everglades (which it's really not) then why two beaches?

If you want to do this whole itinerary, figure two weeks minimum.

This might help: www.yourtravelmap.com for distances and travel times

Mentioned in this post
Tenorio Lodge
Tenorio Lodge
345 Reviews
Bijagua de Upala, Costa Rica
Rio Celeste
Rio Celeste
1,312 Reviews
Tenorio Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Montezuma
Montezuma
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
587 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Uvita
Uvita
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,280 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Planning Part 1 of Trip

How many days are "first half"? Will you have a car or not? Which airport will you arrive and depart?

Edited: 09 March 2014, 20:00
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
135 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Planning Part 1 of Trip

The numbered items are choices. I am certainly not looking to do them all.

Hattie - I agree but that's what the travel agent gave us so I would hope that she didn't give us a bad itinerary. I thought going out to Tortuguero when Uvita was already confirmed seemed FAR. Thanks a million for the link! We wouldn't do all of these things. I would pick 3. Fair question on the beaches. Still thinking and from the sounds of it I should reconsider Tortuguero, yes? Sounds like we skip Montezume if we are doing Uvita right? Pick one beach would be your recommendation?

Xelas - am flexible on airport. We want to have a car but I imagine we would need to book through a tour operator for Tortugueros because there is a boat transfer. Same goes for the one night stay at Pacuare Lodge white water rafting. I imagine we would base out of San Jose and get a car after the "tour company" portion of our tour (which I am frankly not thrilled about. I hate being a on bus with a group of people. Same reason I dont cruise. Hate following a man with a little flag. I like to experience the country!)

Thanks all!

Mentioned in this post
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Uvita
Uvita
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
587 Reviews
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Planning Part 1 of Trip

Tortuguero: No, you don't need a travel agent. You can book a shared van shuttle that includes transportation to the boat landing and the boat trip to Tortuguero. This will give you more information: www.tortuguerovillage.com It is an area of canals and rivers through a jungle and not really that similar to the Everglades. But you can do some reading and decide for yourself whether it's something you would like to do. Note that it's difficult to get there from Monteverde so bear that in mind.

And yes, pick one beach would be my recommendation. I would pick Uvita because I think of the two you mention, it is the least like Florida beaches.

You can include an overnight stay as part of your rafting the Pacuare: riostropicales.com/index.php/adventure-trave… so really no need to book a separate stay at Pacuare Lodge.

If you don't like organized tours, why are you going on one? If you can cancel it, give that some thought and just book a trip yourself. You can do it pretty easily with some help from this forum.

Flying into SJO: Arenal (with day trip to Tenorio), Monteverde, Tortuguero, Uvita -- all are good possibilities.

Flying into LIR: Rincon de la Vieja, Tenorio, Arenal, Bahia Salinas (on the Nicaraguan border) are some of the possibilities.

Mentioned in this post
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Monteverde
Monteverde
Uvita
Uvita
Florida
Florida
United States
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
587 Reviews
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
891 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Tenorio Lodge
Tenorio Lodge
345 Reviews
Bijagua de Upala, Costa Rica
Liberia Airport
Liberia Airport
Liberia, Costa Rica
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,280 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Planning Part 1 of Trip

Although you have not indicated the number of days you will have, here is my suggestion: fly in SJO; get a rental car and overnight in or near Alajuela. Drive to Poas early, then La Paz, then Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui. Stazy 2 nights here. Then drive to La Pavona for Tortuguero. Next stop Siquirres and rafting, same day drive to Turrialba, overnight. Next day a long one via Cartago, San Isidro de el General to Uvita. Realy for the rest of your holidays. First part can be changed according to the number of days to use and activities to do. No little flag to follow on this itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui, Costa Rica
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Turrialba
Turrialba
Province of Cartago, Costa Rica
Cartago
Cartago
Province of Cartago, Costa Rica
Uvita
Uvita
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
135 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Planning Part 1 of Trip

Thank you xelas. Death to the little flags!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,280 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Planning Part 1 of Trip

If you hate them, then avoid St.Marco Square in Venice in high season! Yet, from a photographic point of view, it is scenic. Almost as from Kurosawa movies.

Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
8. Re: Help Planning Part 1 of Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28