We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What type of car is best to rent?

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
What type of car is best to rent?

Hello,

We (5-6 adults) will be travelling to CR in from June 11-19 and we are looking to rent a car. It looks like our best option is going to be renting a van since an SUV would be very camped and would not have room for all our bags. We have driven in CR before but it was an automatic and a smaller car. I have driven an manual before but many years ago so I would be a little nervous! What is the better choice, manual or automatic?

Itinerary

SJO to Puerto Viejo (arrive to SJO at noon)

Puerto Viejo to Arenal

Arenal to Manuel Antonio

Manuel Antonio to SJO

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What type of car is best to rent?

You could consider renting one of the larger SUV's such as a Prado or Montero and then putting your luggage on top on the roof rack. Lots of people do that.

As for manual or automatic - it really doesn't matter that much. Whatever you are comfortable with. A manual transmission gets a bit better gas mileage and your manual transmission skills will return very quickly so no need to be nervous about anything!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What type of car is best to rent?

It looks like from the places that you are going, a 4 wheel drive won't really be necessary, so it really depends on what you feel more comfortable with. I would lean a little toward a van with 5 or 6 adult passengers, just from a comfort standpoint. Even a large SUV may get uncomfortable as much as you are planning on driving over an 8 day period. To me this is a little to much travel time for this length trip, but that is just my take. I would probably either add a few more days or drop one of the places from the list.

3. Re: What type of car is best to rent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:28