We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions re: private transportation

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
137 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Questions re: private transportation

Hi, everyone.

We will be using private transportation domestically in Costa Rica. A couple of questions:

1) Are tips expected? If so, how much?

2). We will stop for meals on a couple of trips. Should we pick up the tab for the driver? What's the norm?

Thank you.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions re: private transportation

If you think you driver did a exceptional job, I would tip him, the amount is up to you, whatever you think is fair $10-20. I always pick up the tab for lunch

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions re: private transportation

Tips are always expected, yet they are not obligatory. Instead of a tip, I would invite the driver to have a meal with us. There is no official norm yet IMO it is much nicer to show your appreciation by sharing that day with the driver. Of course, if the driver also acts like a guide and a historian, and you will appreciate his added value to the transport, then pay her/him adequately.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
137 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions re: private transportation

Thank you both very much. Now I know what to do.

4. Re: Questions re: private transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 06:17