We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

Earth, Texas
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

Hi I know this has been asked thousands of times....I am taking the city bus. Just want to make sure I follow the right route, rules, as I have seen different info. THANKS!!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

I think you are a bit confused. You can't take a "city bus" from San Jose to Bocas del Toro. Can you give us some more information about your plans?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

You can fly to Bocas del Toro, and there are some shuttles that go there from the Puerto Viejo area, Hattie is right, no public buses go there. It's an island with no connection to the mainland.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

Bocastoreños bus will take you all the way to the border of Panama, quick stop in Limon for bathroom/snack break. If not, you can take Mepe bus to Sixaola and then cross border.

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

Thank you all for your responses. I went with a CR friend to the San Carlos bus station in San Jose and have a direct bus ticket for $7.00 to Sixaola, from there you walk over the bridge and you are in Panama. I am sorry I did not make myself clear, just wanted direction in getting to the border. My only problem now is that the city buses are running on schedule so I can catch a 5am from Santa Ana to San Jose and catch another bus to San Carlos for a 6 am bus...or I will take a taxi that will cost me 25$ - which in case i could have just taken ticabus or another ripoff shuttle service. Thanks again! btw, anyone know if the Santa Ana bus really comes at 5 am?? Or do the buses just start running out of San Jose at 5 am? I am getting conflicting answers.

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

Hey - can anyone help us understand getting the Mepe bus from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro?

the bus goes to the Panama Border - Sixaola. From the border, how do you get to Bocas? How much is the boat trip, and how regularly do they run?

Or, should we just pay the $US25 for the shuttle service and save the hassel of the boat etc?

Your help appreciated

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

Little confused by the 'rip off' shuttle statement. For some people paying extra is really worth it. Think about not having to catch a 5am public bus, the stress about making the connections, getting your stuff lost, buses being uncomfortable/ running late/overcrowded/breaking down.

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

Take the shuttle, it's totally worth it. We've done it three times and I can't even imagine how long it would take if you had to wait for scheduled buses and water taxis at each junction.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

There is a direct shuttle to and from Bocas del Toro and San Jose offered by Caribe Shuttle. It has been running for one year. caribeshuttle.com/san-jose-to-bocas-del-toro/

10. Re: Update please?? SAN Jose to bocas del Toro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2016, 06:17