We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a car

upnover
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
renting a car

We are flying into Alajuela at the end of April. We plan to spend the night there and rent a car out the next morning to head to Manuel Antonio. I've read here that most hotels work with car rental places and that's easier then trying to get one at the airport. Do I call a car rental company or the hotel to arrange this? Do I need to reserve a car now or wait until we get there? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a car

Your best bet is probably to go through the car rental operator directly as your hotel may recommend a car rental firm based on their commission rather than service. I would reserve a car now as April is still high season and the better companies do sell out. Read through some of the threads on the right hand side in the frequently asked questions column to help you select a good car rental company. Your vehicle should be delivered to you at your hotel for a minimal cost.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a car

Indeed - cut on the middle man. I can only reiterate the excellent points made by Sara.

Search this forum and particularly the TOP Questions on the right regarding advice about renting a car. Make sure you understand the various coverages and the mandatory insurance. Finally, don't simply pick the cheapest rental you can find. Instead, research the company thoroughly since it is VERY easy to get burned by some rather infamous car rental companies.

Book your car via the company's local website, not through a brokerage site (expedia, orbitz, etc.), not through a hotel, and not through the US site (book through alamocostarica.com rather than through alamo.com, for example).

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a car

Good advice. As for your last question, I would book now and certainly not wait until you get there. Some of the smaller companies have limited selections.

4. Re: renting a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 07:32