We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

protein bars and customs

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
protein bars and customs

I am planing to bring a few protein bars to my trip in costa rica. Now I am reading that in customs I will be sniffed by dogs and food might be obfuscated? source is here: serendipityadventures.com/aboutCostaRica/cus…

Are those tiny bars something I need to declare (I guess they might contain dairy)? Will I be allowed to enter with them? I hope the dogs will not be angry that day...

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: protein bars and customs

Customs coming INTO Costa Rica is easy... you should be alright.

The only sniffing agricultural dogs I've seen have been in the Miami airport customs upon return to the US.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: protein bars and customs

Obfuscated? Hardly - and I have experience with protein bars.

Confiscated? Also unlikely.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: protein bars and customs

No dogs, no obfuscation, no confiscation. You can certainly bring protein bars and any other packaged and sealed foods you like. They mainly focus on fresh fruits and vegetables and similar items.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: protein bars and customs

My friends once brought a giant Italian Salami - which was promptly confiscated at customs. Alas, I have never had any problems bringing ANY packaged food into CR.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: protein bars and customs

Thanks everyone.

Do I need to declare the bars in the customs form or do nothing special?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: protein bars and customs

No, you don't need to declare them. Nothing to worry about.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: protein bars and customs

Framptonian is right, as usual. You will not see anyplace on the customs form to "declare" protein bars! No worries.....

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: protein bars and customs

Not an issue at all. I usually have some snack bars whenever I travel and never has it been a problem.

9. Re: protein bars and customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:20