We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary help

So, apparently since I skipped some stuff, I have a free day that I want to decide where I'm gonna spend it, so I can go forward and book accommodation and stuff.

I arrive to CR on 19.4, and my Itinerary is as follows :

19. 4 - Landing in San Jose in the morning, taking a bus to La Fortuna.

20.4 - La Fortuna

21.4 - La Fortuna

22.4 - La Fortuna

23.4 - Morning Bus from La fortuna to Monteverde

24.4 - Full day at Monteverde

25.4 - Bus from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

26.4 - Full day at Manuel Antonio

27 - ????????

28.4 - 2.5 - Puerto Jimenez (Corcovado NP)

I have a flight from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose on 2.5, so I have to be there for that day.

So, I have a few options for the 27:

1.Taking a bus to PJ, doing the 3 days in Corcovado starting the 28 until the 30. Then spending May first at PJ. Anything to do there for an entire day ? some nice day trips ?

2. Stay somewhere between Manuel Antonio and PJ. Any suggestion ?

3. Just to stay another day in Monteverde.

What should I do ??

Thanks

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

23.4 - Morning Bus from La fortuna to Monteverde / why not using van-boat-van transfer; it is more expensive then bus yet also more attractive, and less time consuming

27.4 - ???????? / take the bus to Puerto Jimenez, arrange for the next day hike; also leave excessive luggage at your hostel; meet with your guide for pre-hike meeting; will you have your permit organized by the time you will arrive at PJ? If not get a permit at the NP office near the airport, and pay the fee in town

28.4 - 2.5 - Puerto Jimenez (Corcovado NP) / 28., 29., 30. hike in, around and out of La Sirena Ranger station

1.5. - Puerto Jimenez / if still having strength for more hike, take a collective toward Carate and jump off at Cabo Matapalo junction, for a leisurely stroll along the beaches to Cabo Matapalo point and back. Or just relax after Corcovado. Or take a boat tour on Golfo Dulce. Or ...

Edited: 22 March 2014, 09:52
Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

23.4 - I have no problem with a Van-Boat-Van transfer if it's nicer and quicker. How I go about and do that ?

27.4 - The guide i'm using sent me the document I have to fill and send to the Corcovado NP. I guess filling it and paying get me the permit ?

1.5 - Cabo Matapalo looks like a nice suggestion. Though you don't think maybe I should just stay another day at Monteverde (or even in La fortuna) ?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

Van-boat-van (sometimes also named taxi-boat-taxi or jeep-boat-jeep) is a service offered by many tour companies in La Fortuna. Just google it, plenty of outfitters, and you can also book online. They take you bay van (taxi, jeep, …) to the shore of Lake Arenal, there you board a boat and cross the lake. On the other side another vehicle will take you up the mountain.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 10:50
Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

Cool, i'll do that. Anything you can add regarding my other questions ?

Thanks

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

Which ones?

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

27.4 - The guide i'm using sent me the document I have to fill and send to the Corcovado NP. I guess filling it and paying get me the permit ?

1.5 - Cabo Matapalo looks like a nice suggestion. Though you don't think maybe I should just stay another day at Monteverde (or even in La fortuna) ?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

Yes, that will take care of the permit. Another day in Monteverde is surely a good option; yet after a demanding hike in and out of Corcovado (you are going to hike in from Los Patos and out to La Leona, yes?) a day of relaxing, getting your "breath" back, just enjoying the life and wildlife around Cabo Matapalo (and have a couple of cold beers at Martina's bar) is what appeals to me. About La Fortuna, I think you will spend enough time there, no need for another day. Finally, it is your trip so it should be your decision.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

Yes, either starting from Los Patos or ending there, shouldn't make a difference.

Thanks!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help

Well, I think it will make a difference. If possible start at Los Patos; not only it is longer hike (and you want to have all your strength ) it is also more interesting. The hike from La Sirena to La Leona is on the beach for the most part, less demanding but more boring.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help

Gotcha.

Will definitely take under consideration. Thanks Pal !