We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs

Rockingham, Vermont
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Souvenirs

I plan on buying presents for people at home, but I don't know what Costa Rica is famous for (except for their coffee). I also plan on buying a "work of art" and would like a recommendation for that as well. Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenirs

How about a beautiful carving made by Miguel and Hermes Quesada, from the root of the coffee plant at the Casa del Soñador (house of the Dreamer; or a beautifully carved and painted Boruca mask.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenirs

We collect vintage-style travel posters from all the places we visit but had trouble finding something appropriate for Costa Rica. Then I found this - we bought it before the trip and loved studying the map before we left, and love it even more now that we understand what everything on it is!

…amazonaws.com/2012/…Costa_rica_web.jpg

Rockingham, Vermont
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenirs

Thank you for that idea. I was actually thinking of a carving. I was in Panama last year and bought a mola and had it framed. It is now in my kitchen. As I get older, I look around my house and see different souvenirs from around the world. Each one triggers different memories. I will travel (with my cousin from Canada) until I can't do it anymore, but I will have my memories.

Rockingham, Vermont
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenirs

I love posters and pictures, but alas no more wall space! Last year I traveled to Panama and brought back a mola and had it framed. It had parrots and many different shades of blue. So lovely!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souvenirs

You can find lots of souvenirs made out of wood -- small and large. Ask around and look around for artisans cooperatives - lots of options there. If you are in the Arenal area, there is a large "artists market" in the center of town that has gobs of excellent stuff. It's near the Central Park, the "other side" of the church there.

If you are in the Liberia area, check out the Hidden Garden Gallery. Truly excellent selection of art works by Costa Rican artists and other Central American artists. Rooms and rooms of things to see and enjoy and some are inexpensive. It's on the highway between LIR airport and Playas del Coco.

6. Re: Souvenirs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:16