We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica

Ocean, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Costa Rica

Hi Everybody!

So 6 of us decided this year to take our yearly vacation to Costa Rica. Our ages range from 21 and 35 (all brothers and sisters) We're looking at May 25th to June 1st. I'm aware that its the rainy season and I'm a little bit nervous on making plans. We decided so far on going to riu guanacaste to get some beach time. I really wanted to add the arenal volcano to our trip and was debating on leaving guanacaste after on friday and driving up to arenal for 3 days. As it is the rainy season I'm not sure anymore if its a great idea. The other options would be to stay the whole week in guanacaste and do excursions from that point. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica

That time of year is actually one of the BEST times of year to come. You do not want to come during the dry season unless it at the beginning. The rainy season does not mean torrential downpours every day, not even close. In May, June, July rains may come for a bit in the afternoon but most of the days will be sunny. The only months during the rainy season you need to be concerned about are September and October.

I would definitely head to Arenal for 3 nights, I think that's a good idea. I am not a big fan of the RIU and you will not find many fans of the hotel. There are many reasons for this but it boils down to a complete lack of respect for the environment and people by the RIU. If your heart is set on the RIU then so be it, have fun there. You might consider the Westin in Playa Conchal, this is another AI and not only responsible towards the environment but a better hotel I think.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica

Here's a vote to go elsewhere and avoid the RIU.

If you want to come all the way to Costa Rica to go to the RIU, you may as well save your money and head to Mexico or Jamaica.

In my opinion, staying at an All Inclusive in Costa Rica defeats the point of traveling to Costa Rica. It keeps you away from all the awesome stuff that makes Costa Rica so amazing.

If your main interest is a beach, I would seriously consider going elsewhere...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica

Riu? I probably book another place, spend that time in other place. About the season, is the best one and if your are kinda worry about it they say that this year the rainy season is pretty far away.

Enjoy Arenal, theres so much to do around the volcano.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica

Another vote for "anything but the RIU." And yes, AI is not really the best way to spend your time in Costa Rica. The country has an excellent tourist infrastructure everywhere with great hotels and excellent restaurants so no need to isolate yourself in a "gringo ghetto."

And I agree, that's a lovely time of year - the rainy season is just starting up so no huge deluges but typically just pleasant afternoon showers.

Arenal is a great area to visit - some ideas: www.arenal.net and www.fortunawelcome.com

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica

People STILL go to the RIU??? Why on earth would anyone do that?

Alas, that time of the year is my FAVORITE time for travel in the Guanacaste region. It's just glorious.

6. Re: Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 05:16