We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport question

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
passport question

Hi,

I have a question re: passports.

My passport was stolen in Panama. I got the temp. passport from the Embassy in Panama. I was planning on staying in Costa Rica for at least another 90 days. At this point my temp. passport is only valid for 30 days. Is there anyway for me to legally get my valid passport without flying to the United States? My pockets are close to empty and this would be a major hardship at this point as not only was my passport stolen, but all of my money as well. (I would then have a blank passport in a country that is not my native country, but have appropriate stickers on temp.) Please let me know.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
United States
United States
North America
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport question

Check the website of the American Embassy in San Jose - there's a big section there about passports. You may be able to get more days on it there. Did you ask at the American Embassy in Panama to see if you can get more days?

I am puzzled that you don't have any money but are planning on staying in Costa Rica for another 90 days.

I have no idea what you mean by : "... (I would then have a blank passport in a country that is not my native country, but have appropriate stickers on temp.) "

If you are in the San Jose area, it wouldn't hurt to make an appointment and go to the Embassy to see what they can do for you. They might be able to help - or - you will just have to leave before your temporary passport "expires."

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Panama
Panama
Central America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
2. Re: passport question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:17