We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mold In Costa Rica Hotel Rooms

Regina, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mold In Costa Rica Hotel Rooms

I am extremely allergic to mold. I have read a lot of comments on the internet about mold in hotel rooms in Costa Rica. Are there any hotels in Costa Rica that are mold free?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mold In Costa Rica Hotel Rooms

All the hotels (5) we stayed in during our recent trip appeared to be mould free.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mold In Costa Rica Hotel Rooms

Sometimes in the slower seasons, hotel rooms are shut up and not used every day and when you open the door, there is a musty smell. But rarely will you find actual mold.

When you have some lodging options in mind, just email them ahead of time to let them know about your allergy. Once you are there, check out the room and the bathroom carefully. The biggest "culprit" would be the bathroom where it is moist all the time. But quality lodging will not have mold.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mold In Costa Rica Hotel Rooms

Good advice above. In addition to what Hattie said, you should also check *recent* reviews. If there is mold, it will almost certainly be mentioned.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,710 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mold In Costa Rica Hotel Rooms

Mold spores are everywhere. The level of mold spores has a great deal to do with the outside humidity level as well as housekeeping. In the rainforest the level of mold spores can be astronomical. Using detectable odors as a measure of mold count is not reliable - as I have found out through mold mitigation projects I have worked on. If you want to reduce mold levels it helps to select lodging with AC as the dryer air corelates with lower mold counts. You also might want to avoid particularly damp locations like the cloudforest at Monteverde and the Osa. If you are extremely allergic to mold any tropical destination with rainforests could pose a challenge.

Regina, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mold In Costa Rica Hotel Rooms

I have read a lot of people's hotel reviews regarding mold in their hotel rooms. Also some people who moved to Costa Rica and are now battling mold in their homes. As I am considering a trip to this interesting country, this is what led me to wonder if a mold free accommodation is possible. I now have a travel advisor that has indicated that it would be impossible to guarantee a mold free hotel room in Costa Rica. Does anyone run a hotel or have a condo rental that utilizes technology to ensure, or at least substantially reduce, the possibility of mold growth in your building? Or perhaps is located in an area of Costa Rica less prone to mold issues? I would bring an air purifier with me, but there is only so much it can do in a short time if there is a large mold problem.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mold In Costa Rica Hotel Rooms

No mould in any of the 9 hotels I've stayed in Costa Rica, all over the country.

Very naive if you think you can travel anywhere in the world and guarentee no mould, especially in the tropics, just not how it works.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mold In Costa Rica Hotel Rooms

You can pick the drier areas of the country to travel to and pick the drier times of year.

Drier areas of the country: northern part of Guanacaste Province and drier times of year: December through April.

I live in Costa Rica in a rainforest area - near the 18,000 hectare Tenorio National Park which is a huge rainforest - and right now, in my house, the humidity is at 51%. In October, it will be at 85 or 90% and that's when the "battle" against mold begins.

Frankly, I don't think anyone can guarantee that you won't have any mold unless you are staying in a $300 a night room somewhere. I have experienced mold in my hotel room in various parts of the US so it's not just Costa Rica. It depends entirely on the maintenance and upkeep of the hotel which is difficult to predict. I could say, "I stayed at XYZ hotel and there was absolutely no mold there." But if the management changes or the housekeeping staff changes - who knows how close they will pay attention to it?

In addition, there might be a hotel bathroom that has a few moldy spots on the caulking - but - that doesn't mean it's at a dangerous level or anything close to it. Building construction in Costa Rica doesn't use a lot of drywall - which can be a real problem with mold if it gets wet. Mostly you will see concrete block or concrete construction and the mold comes into play in the bathroom where it rarely gets dry.

8. Re: Mold In Costa Rica Hotel Rooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:17