We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

Kenosha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

Hello there, collective mind!

I found tickets on Copa for my (first!) trip to Costa Rica in October. They're about $530. I've never traveled in this part of the world before and I don't really know what's a good price. Because I like to plan a lot of things quite in advance, I'm tempted to get the tickets.

Would you say go for it or wait?

Thanks so much!

1. Re: Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 08:41
Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
764 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

Be aware that October tends to be one of the rainiest months for much of Costa Rica, excepting the Caribbean side of the country. So, depending on where you plan to travel in Costa Rica, you may wish to travel at a different time of the year.

Kenosha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

Hi, I'm flying from Chicago to SJO. I've been using a price tracker as well but things have been pretty steady until I found this deal.

I am actually planning to visit the Caribbean side--all the things I really want to see are there anyway. :)

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

Do a comparison search with a variety of airlines or go to Travelocity, Orbitz or Expedia or some of the discount sites Farecompare, Cheap flights, or Matrix and get an idea of other prices.

5. Re: Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 08:41
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

I'm pretty sure Spirit is the airline from hell. :)

Since you have to pay extra for luggage for each leg of your flight + your seat on each flight from Spirit (!!!) I think Copa is actually cheaper.

I'm just double-checking to see if it's okay to buy this early.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 04:41
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

I just bought Copa tickets for our trip to CR in February, so I would say not too early.

Prices could go up, they could go down. If you think you're getting a good price and the flight schedule works for you, not a bad idea to go for it.

P.S. One nice thing about flying with Copa is that if you miss your connection, Panama City is a great place to be 'stranded' for a day!

Edited: 08 April 2014, 05:05
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

Best thing to do is do a search from kayak. They pull from all of the search engines...travelocity, expedia, etc. Kayak will also give you a prediction of whether to buy now or wait on the side. You can also sign up for a trip alert and they will email you the price everyday so you can watch it should you decide to wait. It is hard to answer if it is a good price because the price depends on the city you are flying out of and I do not travel from Chicago. My experiece is that prices this far ahead of time are higher. The prices usually go down when you enter the season of the flight so a couple of months before might be better prices. You can't wait to close of course or then it is more but if you are not even in the travel season of the flight, they usually just give standard prices not the price for the season. Of course, there is nothing set in stone when it comes to flight prices. Anything can happen so it is always a gambling game.

9. Re: Airline Tickets: To Buy or To Wait?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:17