We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Vamos rent a car

I just returned from CR, and on our recent trip we rented thru Vamos. I know much has been written on the subject, so I thought I would share my thoughts....a person was waiting at the airport holding a card with our name. He then drove us in the car we were renting (Toyota Rav 4) to their office which is just down the road. We declined the optional insurance, which is covered by your credit card.....we came supplied with a letter from our card stating the coverage, but was not needed.....they know the drill. We did a once around the car with their representative, noting any scratches, dents, dings. We requested a cooler, which they supply at no additional charge.....and rented a phone for an additional $45 for 10 days....I believe it is $25 for a week, and an extra $5 a day afterwards....which gives you unlimited local calls, and can receive out of country calls at no additional cost. They supply the number to you three days ahead of time, so you can give it to someone at home in case of an emergency. The price we agreed upon was the price paid....the car was fine, no problems. When we returned the car, they gave it a once over....no problems...and then they drove us back to the airport.

FYI: there was a $2000 security deposit that they put on the card....they take an impression of the card, and gave us back the slip upon returning the car. This apparently is the way they all do business. So there you go. It was an excellent experience, no surprises, no problems.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vamos rent a car

Thank you for this post! We will be renting from Vamos for our first Costa Rica trip in July. It is nice to hear exactly how the process worked for you!

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vamos rent a car

famvac09, no problem. I thought going thru the entire process would help others. With all that has been said about some of the other rental agencies (and horror stories), and all the good things said about Vamos, you are never quite sure until you go thru it. This was our 1st time renting a car in a foreign country, and it went very smoothly....I would use them again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vamos rent a car

Nice of you to give your experience. I am thinking of renting for the 1st time (although I said I never would) .. Your post does help. Can you elaborate on the phone situation. I briefly looked at their site today. Can you please elaborate on the phone? Do they not give you a phone just for emergencies to call them or you can add extra cost should you want ?? I don't care about paying for the phone but phone calls home I do not need. I always tell people when I'm on vacation I can't help with any emergencies at home.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vamos rent a car

Love Vamos. Renting from them for the third time in a few weeks. The first time they brought the car to the port after our Windstar cruise. Excellent service. If you get a CR discount card you can get 20% off with Vamos.

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vamos rent a car

Thanks for your post...I must have read 100 or.more reviews on renting a car before I went with Vamos..im anticipating everything going very smoothly.

How do you get a CR discount card?

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vamos rent a car

Thanks for your post...I must have read 100 or.more reviews on renting a car before I went with Vamos..im anticipating everything going very smoothly.

How do you get a CR discount card?

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vamos rent a car

It is a funny thing about the discount card.....we were going to get one, and the price negotiated was as if we had the card.....but when we were ready to buy the card, the site looked down/ fishy. and we didn't buy it. We were never asked for the card, and still got the same price.

Regarding the phone, it is used only for making calls inside CR.....and can receive calls from outside CR at no charge. We only used it for local calls, so the price we paid up front was all there is.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vamos rent a car

Www.costaricadiscount.com is the site for the card. It is not fishy . They are great . I just purchased a card for this trip. I got 20% off Vamos and they helped me get better prices on some hotels! The activities part of the card will come in handy when we get there but you don't have to purchase that part if you don't want. Their chat tool is great. You pay for the card and they send you it via email to print. I have saved $180 so far and haven't even arrived in CR. Of course I paid $40 but it's well worth it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vamos rent a car

Also ask Vamos and they will send you a free, waterproof,very nice map to have before your trip.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 17:50
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vamos rent a car

We used costaricadiscountcard.com and got the addtl 20% off with Vamos that we absolutely would not have gotten without it. Customer service was very good with the card. I have the quote before and after getting the card. The "rule" is you should have the card prior to booking your vehicle. Vamos supplied our cooler and also the cell phone at no charge. We only used the phone to call them when we encountered a minor problem. We also rented a GPS which did come in handy a couple of times when we wandered off the more beaten path!