We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Costa Rica + Panama itinerary? 3 weeks

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
My Costa Rica + Panama itinerary? 3 weeks

Hey everyone,

I am starting to plan my itinerary for my upcoming trip to Costa Rica/Panama (3 weeks). We will be a small group of students (22 years old). Looking for all kind of adventures and activates (hiking, surfing, exploring the wildlife, rafting etc...). We will be using the local bus to go around. Our budget is not that great so we will use local bus and cheap hotels. We don't have a specific price yet, And don't have any dates yet, maybe someone could tell us based on our itinerary when would be the best time for us to go? I was thinking June or July?

Here's what we would do :

San Jose

Manuel Antonia

Jaco

Monterverde

Arenal

Puerto Viejo

Bocas Del Toro

Panama city

Does this make any sense at all? I feel like by stopping in Manuel Antonia/Jaco and then Puerto Viejo/Bocas Del Toro we will have the chance to taste both the Pacific and Caribbean side. But is to much driving around?

And is there any where we should stop between Bocas Del Toro and Panama City? The drive seems very very long and we get really close the the pacific side of Panama (David), is there anything worth stopping by?

Thank you very much!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Costa Rica + Panama itinerary? 3 weeks

I would dump Jaco-not a great destination. I would replace Monteverde with Boquete in Panama, between Bocas del Toro and Panama City.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: My Costa Rica + Panama itinerary? 3 weeks

Thanks! I continued searching about Costa Rica / Panama after I posted and I had already added Boquete on my list. The hick to the top of the volcano seems nice!

I wasn't sure for Jaco, the only reason I was planning to stay was because it was on the way to Montverde & Arenal. Maybe juste for one day? Or it would really be a waste of time?

Why do you think I should replace Montverde? I was thinking to do both. What if I ditch completely Jaco instead.

Thank you!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Costa Rica + Panama itinerary? 3 weeks

Monteverde and Boquete are very similar. Same birds, same trees, same activities for the most part.

And Monteverde isn't very convenient.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My Costa Rica + Panama itinerary? 3 weeks

Hows the surfing in Puerto Viejo / Bocas del Toro compared to Jaco / Manuel Antonia for beginners? I am thinking skip the Pacific side if their's really not that much of a difference. I feel like it will save us a lot of travel time.

I will take a better look at Monteverde and Boquete and try to see which one would be better. But I tought it would be easier to get to Arenal by boat taxi from Monteverde?

Thanks again!

5. Re: My Costa Rica + Panama itinerary? 3 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 06:16