We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexperienced Divers

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Inexperienced Divers

I've read forum posts about diving but the catch is we're not very experienced. We're 3 divers ages 46,19 and 16 with just our certification dives, followed by 1 open water & 1 shallow wreck and a 1day resort/ uncertified dive before that. All in the Florida area. The 16 yr old actually has the most experience with a few other fresh water dives, although his age restricts the depth of the dives to 60 ft. So, are there any good dive spots for us? Or recommendation for dive shops that will provide us with a personal guide (extra cost expected) to make sure we stay safe. We'll be there at the beginning of August this year. Thank you!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexperienced Divers

You don't say where in the country you will be so it's tough to recommend much.

Basically, Costa Rica is really not a dive destination. There is diving and dive shops in the Playas del Coco area as well as a few other areas, but it's nothing like the Caribbean islands or Florida.

If you just google "dive Costa Rica" you will get quite a bit of information.

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexperienced Divers

I wouldn't consider posting a question if I hadn't googled already. To clarify: our destinations are not yet finalized. I'm aware that Costa Rica isn't considered a dive destination but I have read references to Playa del Coco, Cano Island, Puerta Viejo, Tortuga island and a couple of other places. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction based on our specific capabilities and depth restrictions. I would then do further research including the feasibility of getting there from our other areas of interest.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
559 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexperienced Divers

My husband is a scuba diving nut, and here are some of his favorite dive operations. If you are going to be in northern Guanacaste, check out Bill Beard's diving operation. Another favorite is the dive shop at the Flamingo Beach Resort. We go to Tambor every year, and he dives at Tortuga Island. He uses the dive operation at Curu Wildlife Center. Luis Schutt runs the dive center at Curu. Although he has never used it, the dive shop at Delfines in Tambor has good reviews.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexperienced Divers

Fyi, all scuba dives should be guided if they are following accepted practice, so there should be no extra cost for a guide.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexperienced Divers

http://www.pacificcoastdivecenter.com/en/

Great diving operation in the Flamingo area for all levels of ability.

Have fun!

6. Re: Inexperienced Divers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 05:16