We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

Madison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

Hi

Leaving Uvita Saturday June 28th, flying out from Liberia Sunday June 29th at 1pm.

We are a looking for a place half way so that we can still enjoy our last day in Costa Rica and not spend the whole day in the car. It seems like Puntarenas would be right in the middle.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Guillaume

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

Yes, Puntarenas would be about half way. It's mostly a commercial center and port town so not all that great. But you can find decent lodging for your overnight. Depending on what time your flight leaves Liberia, you might want to travel a bit further and have a shorter day on the day of your flight.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

Personally, i would drive as far as possible, at least till Canas. That would be 5-6 hours, with 2 stops. Not too long of a drive for a whole day. And being closer to the airport will make for more relaxed sleep.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

Great idea, xelas. They could stop at La Pacifica - a beautiful place with very comfortable bungalows. http://pacificacr.com/english/ It's about an hour and 15 minutes to the airport -- maybe a bit more if the highway construction is in high gear and a great Costa Rican place to spend the last night.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

And they will be able to take a short stop at Las Pumas Rescue Center. Looks like a winner stop to me.

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

The last time I drove between Dominical and The airport in Liberia it only took m,e 4 1/2 hours and I am pretty sure I did the speed limit all the way and there was construction gong on (but not too many delays for the first part tot the drive out of Liberia. This was about 6 weeks ago. For Uvita you would only add about 15 minutes. I left about noon.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

I think you were lucky, Dave. I don't think your experience is the "norm." Plus, I was on Rt 1 between Canas and Liberia two days ago and it was kind of slow in some places due to highway construction. In addition to widening the highway to four lanes, they are building something like 6-7 bridges. So wherever there's a bridge, you go from the new highway to the old and the transition is kind of bumpy and slow. Then there are guys who stop the cars on the highway to let big trucks enter and exit the work area.

Even if we assume that one can drive from Uvita to the airport in Liberia in 5 hours -- why would you try to do it all in one day? There's really nothing that special around the airport so you might as well stay somewhere beautiful and interesting -- such as La Pacifica -- and arrive at the airport refreshed and ready to go.

Of course, if you have an early morning flight - staying near the airport would make more sense.

I mention La Pacifica because it's right on Rt 1 but set back from the highway about 200 meters. There are other places that would work, also, but are a bit off the main highway and with a drive like that, I'm not sure someone would want to take any "detours."

Edited: 06 June 2014, 15:58
Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

I agree, I was prepared to get back about sunset but showed up much sooner. The drive on the Costanera is easy and they recently started redoing the stripes and adding reflectors so it makes for a nicer night drive now.

Madison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

Thanks for all your reply.

Now when you mention "There are other places that would work, also, but are a bit off the main highway and with a drive like that, I'm not sure someone would want to take any "detours.""

Which places are you talking about as we wouldn't mind take "detours"?

Thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

1. La Ensenada Lodge - about 20-30 minutes off Rt 1: www.laensenada.net

2. About 35-45 minutes off Rt 1: Casitas Tenorio in Bijagua www.casitastenorio.com or Finca Verde Lodge www.fincaverdelodge.com

3. About 45 minutes to an hour off Rt 1 -- Rio Perdido -- www.rioperdido.com

4. About 30-45 minutes from Liberia - Rinconcito Lodge www.rinconcitolodge.com

5. About 30 minutes from Liberia - Hacienda Guachipelin www.guachipelin.com

10. Re: Stop overnight between Uvita and Liberia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:17