We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Itinerary

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Possible Itinerary

Hi, we (my boyfriend and I) are currently in the process of trying to plan a trip to Costa Rica. I would appreciate any advice on this proposed itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive San Jose and travel to La Fortuna by shuttle bus

Day 2: La Fortuna/ Arenal area

Day 3: La Fortuna/ Arenal area

Day 4: Travel to Monteverde by Taxi-Boat-Taxi

Day 5: Monteverde

Day 6: Travel to Tamarindo by shuttle bus

Day 7: Tamarindo

Day 8: Fly out from Liberia airport.

We are not planning to hire a car while in Costa Rica. Is it possible to discover the La Fortuna and Arenal areas without one, through using organised tours, trips or taxis?

Thanking you in advance for your help and advice,

C

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Itinerary

Your itinerary is OK. Personally, I wouldn't visit that many places in only 7 days - but - that's a matter of personal style. I'm sure you've checked the shared van shuttle times to make sure they work with your arrival at SJO.

Plan on being at LIR airport at least two hours ahead of your flight. 2.5 hours is probably better. You will have to pay your departure tax, fill out a form and stand in line with everyone else on your flight to check in. Then security.

Be sure to get something to eat before you arrive at the airport since the food there is mediocre and terribly expensive, even by airport standards.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
520 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Itinerary

it is doable, but it feels like you will be most of the time on the road, and not really relaxing how it should be.

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Itinerary

Thank you very much for your replies and tips. We're trying to pack in as much as we can.

4. Re: Possible Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 06:17