We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip for couple

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First time trip for couple

Hello!

I'm trying to plan a trip with my boyfriend (neither of us have been to Costa Rica before) and we aren't really sure where the best place to visit would be. We're basically starting from nothing, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. We would probably be visiting for around two weeks in August or September. We're both outdoorsy and would enjoy hiking, surfing, diving (we're scuba certified) and whatever other activities are best done in Costa Rica. I'd like to keep the hotel budget under $1,000 if possible. I tend to prefer cooler weather and burn easily, so I'm a little concerned about how hot it will be while we're visiting. Thank you for any and all recommendations!

<3 Jessie

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,932 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip for couple

August and September, weather is nicer on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica. With 2 weeks, you can start your journey with 2 days in Monteverde, continuing to Arenal for 3 days, next Sarapiqui 2 days. Second week should take you to Tortuguero and Puerto Viejo (2+4) Your last day a whitewater rafting on Rio Pacuare with transportation to San Jose.

It will be hot on the sun, yet these are all forested areas, plenty of deep shade to take cover against sunburn.

Only thing you will not have is scuba diving; CosTa Rica is not a scuba diving destination. Snorkeling in Cahuita or Manzanillo is good.

In all of these places you will be able to find room within your budget. In Sarapiqui check Posada Andrea Cristina. In Tortuguero Casa Marbella. In Monteverde and La Fortuna, hostels will have also room with private bathroom for much less than nearby hotel.

Your transportation should be a mix between shuttle transfers and local buses.

Have fun!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip for couple

I would spend some days at the beach like Tamarindo, Manuel Antonio, Conchal but Manuel Antonio is the place with more activities like paraseling, snorkel, surf, ATV and more. Then La Fortuna, do some waterfall hiking, long walk to get closer to the volcano, hot springs and some adventure at Monteverte like zip line.

3. Re: First time trip for couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:16