We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bioluminescence Beaches

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bioluminescence Beaches

Hi!

I heard that certain beaches in Costa Rica "light up" at night due to Bioluminescence creatures. I was wondering which beaches have this and if it is only at a certain time of year? Also read that a beach had jellyfish that glow at night. If anyone knows anything about this I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bioluminescence Beaches

www.lmgtfy.com/?q=bioluminescent+water+costa+rica

Edited: 23 June 2014, 22:56
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bioluminescence Beaches

There are beaches at Santa Rosa National Park with this natural phenomenon, but there may be others that are more accessible.

Paquera
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bioluminescence Beaches

Almost any beach can have bioluminescent water. The key word is CAN have. Since it is an algae that blooms you never know when it is going to be a strong bloom at the different beaches. There are some places however that the water contidions are so consistent that you are guaranteed to see it throughout the year (well as long as you avoid the full moon ;)

There might be more places in Costa Rica, but the one I know of (since I live here) is in the gulf of Nicoya. In the bay area close to Paquera there is always a pretty good bioluminescent.

4. Re: Bioluminescence Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:16