We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Weeks in September

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Topic
3 Weeks in September

Hello

My girlfriend and I are travelling around the world and have Costa Rica as a stop in September for 3 weeks. So far from the research we've done we know the Caribbean side will be best for the weather, what we want to know is whether the East coast will offer enough activities to fill our time! The canopy zip-line looks great and we're sure we want to give that a go, rainforests and waterfalls always make a good trip also. We've just completed 6 weeks around South East Asia, spending 3-4 nights in a city and then moving on. We've really enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind doing something similar in C-R.

Costa Rica experts, is there a particular "route" that tourists follow? To clarify we're looking to fill 3 weeks with multiple cities, waterfalls, rainforests and volcanoes, what is the best way to do this? We fly into San Jose on the 6th, with 3 days planned there, the rest depends on your recommendations ...

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Weeks in September

3 days in San Jose are 2 days too many :))! However you can use that time to visit some of the sites within a day tour: Cartago and Irazu volcano, Poas volcano, Doka coffee estate, Zoo Ave in Alajuela.

With 3 weeks you have enough time to do something similar to; Monteverde (2 days) - Arenal (3-4 days) - Sarapiqui (3 days) - Tortuguero (2 days) - Puerto Viejo (5-6 days) - Turrialba (1 day).

For maximum flexibility rent a car. Otherwise you can use shared shuttles and local buses.

Safe trails!

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Weeks in September

That is exactly the advice I was after, perfect thank you

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Weeks in September

You are welcomed! As for renting a car, do read about it here on TA. It is much different than renting back home. For having better ideas of prices, ask quotes from Wild Rider and Vamos; these two companies includes all costs into their quotes. For a bit less expensive rental check out this site: https:/…rent-a-car-costa-rica . They have also discount cards for activities. Not affiliated to them but read enough reports to believe they do deliver what they offer.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Weeks in September

Agree with Xelas, three days are too much for spend at San Jose.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Weeks in September

Poor San Jose! I would like to add to Xelas' suggestions for time in San Jose with the Gold and Jade Museums, the National Theater, the art museum in the old airport control tower in Sabana and InBio Park.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Weeks in September

Sara, all the places you say, they can visit in one day.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Weeks in September

Make sure you head for the Caribbean coast, weather is great! Puerto Viejo area is great!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Weeks in September

Thanks, Gabriel. They can visit all the places I suggested in one day, but I was adding to the list Xelas started. I wouldn't spend three days in San Jose if I had very limited time in Costa Rica but the city does have things to offer and should not be constantly written off as it tends to be on this forum.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Weeks in September

Absolutely correct, Sara. Myself we have stayed 4 nights at Adventure Inn, and visited San Jose twice, once full day and once half day, and have visited all of your locations. But we have had 4 weeks in Costa Rica.

Anyway, I was too harsh re.San Jose. With 3 weeks, OP should allow at least one day to the capital of this country.

10. Re: 3 Weeks in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16