We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

Westport...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

Has anyone been to Uvita at the very end of July/ beginning of August? We were planning to go but have heard from a few people to avoid it during rainy season. Costa Rica is supposed to have a mini-dry season during those weeks but I'm not sure if it's in some places more than others. From what I understand all of Costa Rica will be a mix of sun and tropical showers so I'm not sure if Uvita will be any diffferent.

Can anyone comment from experience?

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

As today weather not really bad around Uvuta....check Tiki Villas incredible place ...great location...great owners...ask for Thomas he is the best...we need a lot more hotel owners like him...

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

I have not been down that way in a long time but I trust the judgment of Luis. I can say that around me in the central valley we have been having incredible weather for weeks.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

We are staying near Uvita now. Actually, we're in between Uvita and Dominical, staying at Villas Alturas. The weather is perfect! We've had sunny days with no rain until after 4:00. This area is beautiful, jungle covered mountains meeting the ocean... I love it here! I would absolutely come here again at this time of year. I also highly recommend Villas Alturas. The view is incredible, breathtaking! The villas are very nice, with amazing staff and a good restaurant. We can't get over how lucky we are to be here!

Westport...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

Thank you so much for the quick feedback. That's good to hear! Famvac, did you come from another area in CR or are you going elsewhere? Curious about how it compares and what route you decided to take since you're in the same direction we're headed.

Also, what activities have you done in/near uvita that uou liked and any great restaurant recommendations? We will have a car.

Thanks!!

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

Jill, we came straight to Villas Alturas after landing at SJO on Monday. We are heading to the Arenal area on Friday to spend a week there. We hiked and zip lined this morning at Hacienda Baru. The zip lines were fairly tame, which is what we were looking for since our 9 year old daughter was nervous. It was the perfect starter zip line, and now she wants to do bigger lines in Arenal. It was also a nice hike, and we saw several sloths thanks to our zip line guides. We then drove to Manuel Antonio. We only had two hours to spend in the park, but it was worth every minute. We saw so many monkeys and other wildlife just on our walk to the beach. Then we got to the beach - and it was the most perfectly beautiful amazing beach I've ever seen in my life! We wish we would have spent our entire day yesterday at Manuel Antonio. It was amazing. Yesterday, we spent our day at Marina Bellena national park near Uvita, and swimming at our hotel. Marina Bellena was beautiful, but the swimming was not good, too rocky :( My daughter and husband did not enjoy that beach. MA was soft white sand, no rocks, and calm vlear water. Tomorrow we are horseback riding to Nauyaca Falls, and we hear that's a great tour!

As far as restaurants, Villas Alturas is great - beautiful view and very good food with great ambiance. Anyone can eat here. We also ate at Marina Bellena Restaurant, right on the highway outside of Marina Bellena park. I had the casada, which was delicious! My husband had the burger, which he didn't like. Today we ate at El Wagon outside Manuel Antonio and loved it! Great setting and good food.

And the weather was perfect again today! Beautiful and sunny, no rain until after 7:00.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

You are welcome..

roadadvisor

Westport...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

Famvac,

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the insight on the beaches, great to know. We were planning to avoid Manurl Antonio bc we don't like touristy places, but now rethinking. Did you go with a tour group? Was the beach crowded there? My hubby wants to surf-did you see surfers there? And last question, how long did it take to drive there? Would you have preferred to spend a couple of nights there to spending all nts in the area in Uvita?

Thank you for the great restaurant reco's and SO happy to hear about the weather!!

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

Jill, I'm sorry for not replying sooner! After leaving Villas Alturas, we moved on to a rental home near Nuevo Arenal with our extended family and had limited wifi.

If I had this trip to do over again, I would still stay in the Dominical/Uvita area and do a day trip to Manuel Antonio. We, too, wanted to avoid MA because it sounded too touristy. It was not as bad as I expected, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed staying there, but it was just not the vibe I was wanting for THIS vacation. Dominical and Uvita were perfect and amazing - gorgeous, lush, dramatic coastline and not at all touristy and not too many people to take away the peace and natural beauty of the area. BUT I would have allotted an entire day to be spent at Manuel Antonio. The beach within the park was the most incredibly beautiful, perfect beach I have ever seen, with perfect water as well. The beach was not at all crowded when we were there, it had just the perfect amount of people (not too many, but enough that you felt like there was help nearby if needed). But, we were at that park for the last 45 minutes before closing, so it's entirely possible the beach gets crowded earlier in the day. We passed quite a few people leaving the park as we were walking in. It took us about 45 minutes to drive from Villas Alturas to Manuel Antonio. It was a very easy drive, good road. We drove ourselves, definitely no tour needed.

The free beach outside the park was definitely more crowded, but it was also very big, so plenty of room for all the people. Not as beautiful as the one inside the park. I can't remember if I saw surfers or not?? There were definitely lots of surfers around Dominical.

And the weather was perfect our entire time on the coast - beautiful days, no rain until after nightfall!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,958 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

Famvac you were lucky with MA. It was SO crowded when we were there the park was full by 9:30am. Learned to avoid Holiday weeks! Glad Off Season was better. Also I suspect you were there on a weekday vs weekend? We loved Villas Alturas. Saw macaws, toucans, monkeys and coatimundis daily. Jill the surfing will be better at Dominical so maybe a bit of both locations. We had an awesome day with Diamante Verde tours. Ck out their website. One of a kind day! Lots of things to explore on your own around Dominical, Uvita, Ojochal. We enjoyed waterfalls that we were able to find on our own as well as beaches. I think it is great to have a small 4x4 and avoid organized tours for the most part. Lots of great restaurant options. Our favorites were Villas Alturas, Tilapia El Pavon (catch your own or just enjoy the freshly caught fish) explore the waterfall across the st. Fresh ceviche on the beach was very good. The Roadhouse and Bar Jolly Roger were fun stops. Whales and Dolphins for sunset Happy Hour. A few others I can't remember by name......

10. Re: Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go or avoid??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:16