We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
151 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

I like the fact that the Lost Iguana has Villas and we need the extra beds fro my wife and I and two teenagers. The Tabacon will not give me a straight answer about how many beds are in their suites.

Wife likes the Tabacon for the hot springs but it looks like the Iguana has the better volcano view. I think the villas at the Iguana will be better fro us and we can just spend a day at the hot springs because we'll be busy with other activities while we are in the area anyway.

Does anyone know if the Tabacon has suites with three beds? That is my main concern. Both properties look wonderful but hope to get responses from everyone on "the truth" about both places.

Thanks.

Randy

Whitby, ON Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

We stayed at the Tabacon and don't know 100% about 3 bed suites, but judging from their web sites -

- Tabacon's standard rooms appear to have either 1 king or 2 doubles. If you up-grade to a junior suite (they don't have many) you can get 1 king or 2 queens.

- The casitas at Lost Iguana appear to only have 1 king in the master bedroom and 'one full-size sofa bed' (probably in the living room) if that works any better for you.

Hopefully some other folks can suggest alternatives for you.

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
507 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

Stayed at the Tabacon a couple of weeks ago. IF you have a car you have the freedom of choice as the Lost Iguana is off the beaten path and I would assume taxi rides would add up in cost. Tabacon is on the main road and has free shuttle service to La Fortuna which leave every one hour to every two hours depending if you are coming or going from town.

I had to call Tabacon since I was worried that the 4 of us would get stuck with a room with only a king size bed. Calling them was the best thing I did. Initially they said they could only provide us with king but upon further (nice) inquiry they gave us 3 rooms with 2 double size beds - no suites were available. (there were 9 of us traveling). Rooms are quite large.

In one of the rooms there was also a sofa (not in ours or my mom's) which was not a sofa bed. In our room there easily could have been a cot provided where the "missing sofa" should have been. I believe they indicated that they could provide a cot if needed, but I didn't inquire further.

We booked and paid for a garden view but could see the volcano very well from our room. For our 3 day stay it was covered in clouds but could see the middle third of it.

Personally a trip to Arenal should include a visit to the hot springs. The Tabacon Hot Springs are incredibly beautiful and when we went (each of the 3 days) it was not crowded.

Note that the Tabacon will no longer be offering free breakfasts as of November which is a shame as the food was delicious. Again, without a car you'd be stuck paying for breakfast as you cannot walk to any restaruants from the Tabacon (well you can walk to El Novillo but I think they only serve lunch and dinner and the walk can be dangerous at night since the streets are not lit and when cars come you need to make sure you are in the bushes away from the road. But the fireflies we saw while walking were awe inspiring).

Lastly while you didn't ask I will mention that you MUST have dinner at Don Rufino (which is in the town of La Fortuna). Bar far it was the best meal and the best price during our 8 day stay in Costa Rica.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if you have any. LonnaLinda

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,286 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

Can't answer your questions about beds, but wanted to point out that one of the big differences between these 2 choices is their location. Lost Iguana is more remote and has a great view of the volcano (usually the top is hidden by clouds). It's off the main road a mile or so, and you don't get the road traffic noise that comes with Tabacon and many other properties along the road between Lake Arenal and La Fortuna. If you want to be in the thick of things, stay at Tabacon which is closer to town. If you want to feel like you're far away from the crowd, stay at Lost Iguana. The road between the 2 is in good condition. Lost Iguana is about 15 minutes from Tabacon and 25 minutes from La Fortuna. We loved Lost Iguana, but did spend an afternoon at Tabacon a nd enjoyed the hot springs, although they were crowded.

4. Re: Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2006, 20:53
Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
220 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

We stayed at the lost Igauna last August and it was the best place we stayed in Costa Rica - the location, can't beat it, you are in the Rain forest and fall asleep to the sound of the bugs buzzing. Views are amazing. They have a terfiic restaurant and two pools - one of them has a swim-up bar and the water in teh pool is really, really warm.. yes, it's not a hot sprigns, but the temperature is just the same.

We went to Tabacon for an evening and it was awfull!! Staff was incredibly rude, people pushy adn every single pool was so so incredibly crowded. We ate their breakfast buffet and I can't believe how much it cost considering how bad the food was. I'm not sure what it's like to stay there, but it definitely was not a pleasant place to visit.

charlestown rhode...
Level Contributor
97 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

The best thing about Tabacon is that you can enjoy $10 drings from the pool bar while getting splashed by drunken european tourists playing on the slide!

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

not sure about getting 4 people in one room, but i do know that the rate at tabacon includes the entrance to the hot springs for 2 individuals - perhaps for 3 prs in the suites. if you are not staying at the hotel, you´d have to pay the entrance fee, which is now somewhere around $50 PER PERSON. i will add that seeing and feeling THESE hot springs is a must. the other "hot springs" in the area are not the same, despite what a cab driver may tell you. for an amazing view of the volcano, you can go to the observatorio del sur hotel early in the morning. it´s less likely to be overcast in the wee hours. anyways, you can get decent views of the arenal from just about any hotel in the area. enjoy your trip.

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

apparently you CAN get 4 people in some rooms. this is a CR travel agency:

vacationcity.com/costa-rica/…

9. Re: Can't decide between the Tabacon or Lost Iguana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 09:19