We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

I really would like to see quetzal and poison dart frogs. I've tried googling around but are there any local or best sites to look at to book a 3-5 day tour around a national park? Which national park is best..Amistad? Chirripo? Parque Nacional Los Quetzales?

Just want to go on a really good wildlife tour in some national park.

Was thinking of going down to panama too for some more wildlife?

Edited: 19 August 2014, 16:46
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

What time of year would you be going? Quetzals will mirate up and down mountain slopes depending on season.

San Gerardo de Dota/Cerro de Muerte is supposedly the best place to see quetzals in Costa Rica (never been), but we had really good luck seeing them in Monteverde (7 in one morning). We had a gorgeous male land right outside our cabin inside La Amistad in Panama near Cerro Punta, plus cacomistles visited our cabin every night. La Amistad is probably the most gorgeous, heavenly cloud forest of them all, in my opinion.

tripadvisor.com/members-citypage/…g304174

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

Depends on when you are planning on going. We were in Monteverde last March and saw lots of quetzals in the parking lot before we even went into the park.Did not see any in Las Quetzales NP. Never saw any poison dart frogs in Costa Rica, however, saw lots of them in the Amazon

Edited: 19 August 2014, 19:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

I haven't planned a time of year. I was thinking of going when it was best for what I mentioned. Also really don't want rain. I live in England!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,280 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

These two creatures lives on different altitudes. I have seen quetzal in the Cerro de la Muerte area (San Gerardo de Dota and at KM70) https:/…

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

If no rain is your goal then the drier season would be best. For the most part we travel to CR in March and 1 year we went in October - October was not too bad in northern Guanacaste (no rain as this is one of the driest parts of the country), however, we did specifically go for turtle nesting and we could not get to Ostinol beach for the Olive Ridley turtles due to heavy rains washing out the road - we did, however, go to a different beach (I can not recall which one and which park) and did see leatherbacks laying eggs so it made the trip worth it!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

Monteverde's good, and reasonably good chance of sighting Quetzales most of the year, but in my experience, the San Gerardo de Dota region is even better, and good/multiple sightings most of the year. As mentioned, they do migrate following the aguatillos, but a good guide at any of the quetzal/trogon lodges in the San Gerardo de Dota area should be able to find you some. Finca Chacon/Savegre Lodge, Trogon Lodge, Dantica Lodge are all good.

As mentioned, the poison dart frogs tend to like lower elevations. Good sighting opportunities in Tortuguero, Caribbean coast, and Osa peninsula...

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

Location is important - but - equally as important is having a good local guide. He/she will be able to show you the places where the poison dart frogs live and the latest quetzal sightings.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,406 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

You can go to a vfeat locatio to see Quetzales like...Dota...Montverde...where by the way you can see frogs...BUT maybe the best is to get a great nature guide...

roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

Also keep in mind that quetzals and poison dart frogs tend to be found in very rainy environments--areas where there's a wet season, and an even wetter season.

February-March is breeding season so that's when the males are out and particularly active.

From what I can gather, the guides/lodges in San Gerardo de Dota know where the local quetzals hang out, feed, nest--they're almost like family.

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to see Quetzal and poison dart frogs. What company?

Going to bump this as I'm still trying to figure this all out.

Are those package holidays just a rip off? I have travelled around the world on my own so it's not that I don't have the ability to do it but what is? Is it cheaper and better to just buy my flight there then arrange the local tours myself?

I also aren't too keen about these packages as they aren't probably hardcore enough, I just want to go to really remote areas and rainfrorests and see stuff. Not like monkeys from far away.