We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windjammer Cruise

Laguna Hills, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Windjammer Cruise

Would love info on this cruise - has anyone taken it? My husband & I took a cruise 20 years ago in the West Indies, so my info is ancient. We want to take our 2 teenage daughters & thought this might be a fun way to go after hearing how the roads are sketchy. Is is full of honeymooners ( my daughters would kill us)? On the other hand, is the "family" cruise mostly younger kids? Any additional advise for anywhere in Costa Rica would be apprieciated - we are planning on going this summer and are open to any advise.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Windjammer Cruise

Below is a link to a great post about driving in Costa Rica. What are you really interested in seeing and doing? Have you read a guidebook to see what places you would like to visit? Although I haven't taken one, I see several problems with a cruise (this one or the others). You will be in each place for less than a day, so you wouldn't really have time to explore it. You will hike in coastal rainforests and enjoy the beaches, snorkeling, and kayaking, but you will not see the amazing sights that are only found inland - active volcanoes and cloud forests for example, or be able to do some other amazing activities, like white water rafting, etc. By the way, you can also fly to some destinations.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309289-i4615-k785…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windjammer Cruise

We've been on 2 Windjammer cruises and they are definitely not just full of honeymooners. The Legacy (which is the ship going out of Costa Rica) has the Jr Jammers program, so there are LOTS of families with kids. But there is plenty of ADULT fun too!

We did the Legacy to the Bahamas in 2005 with our 11 & 7 yr olds and we all enjoyed it and can't wait to go again.

We're looking at going on the Costa Rica cruise in early August.

Windjammer is a very relaxed cruise - dressing for dinner is sandals & a clean t-shirt. It is NOT for everyone - no room service, you have to get your own drinks from the bar, the ships are older & full of stairs & pipes but also have great atmosphere. But the staff are great! The cook on the Legacy helped my daugther learn to make braided bracelets and sold them to the passengers for doubloons (used for drinks at the bar). He also shared his recipes with my husband. The kids get to do one experimental dive, and if they are certified they can go on the adult dives too, but there is plenty to do ( or not do) even if you don't dive.

If you have any questions on Windjammer cruises, check out http://www.jammerbabe.com/flotilla/ for a whole discussion board on 'Jammin.

Beth in Dallas

RVB
Sea Girt, New Jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Windjammer Cruise

Beth, thanks so much for Flotilla Forum site! I've been looking over the posts for the last 90 minutes...looks like lots of fun. The only problem is coming up with a "cool" user name.

Although we haven't been on a windjammer cruise yet, but I'm working on my husband to give it a try.

Thanks again, and have a great holiday season...Renee

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windjammer Cruise

We took our 2 teens to Costa Rica last May. The trip was awesome! We stayed at the Allegro Papagayo (Pacific side, Northern area). We did several excursions that we all enjoyed. We did a zipline/volcano/mud bath trip, an atv excursion at the beach and jungle, Palo Verde River tour with tons of animals to see, and snorkeling from the resort. The girls had a great time as did the adults. If you are going to go to CR see the country and meet the wonderful people. We used a company called vargascostaricatours.com. We were a group of 5, they picked us up in a new clean air conditioned van. The driver was excellent and manuvered the roads with ease. Our guide was extremely knowledgable and made our vacation so much more enjoyable. They took us into town on two of the trips, had lunch in a quaint village, it really was a nice way to see that area of Costa Rica. The Allegro was very family friendly, with plenty of activities to keep you busy. They have a great staff, nice acomidations, and the fruit, oh the best pineapple I have ever eaten. I also tried some local fruits I have never seen before. Don't let the roads keep you from this wonderful piece of PARADISE!!!

5. Re: Windjammer Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 17:19