We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa rica traveller please

Peachland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
costa rica traveller please

how long is the bus from limon to la fortuna? Is there anywhere you would reccommend to stop overnight or a couple of days on the way. We are with and 8 year old

San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costa rica traveller please

Interbus is about 4 1/2 hrs from Limon to Fortuna. Departure from limon is 11:30 am.

Can't say about the public bus. Always best to ask locally or someone local like a hotel even. I am assuming there is a bus you can take to Flores and then maybe change to another up to the Sarapiqui area which I like but I really don't know the schedules.

Mentioned in this post
Interbus
Interbus
379 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui
Province of Heredia, Costa Rica
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costa rica traveller please

Costa Rica Traveller,

Are you sure you mean Flores - or do you have Guatemala on the brain?

I suspect that it would be a pretty complicated task getting from Limon to La Fortuna by public bus without going back through San Jose.

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: costa rica traveller please

Raquel is right. By public bus, I count 1 hour from Limon to Guapiles, 2 hours from Guapiles to Puerto Viejo d Sarapiqui, 2 hours from PV to San Carlos and 1 hour from San Carlos to Fortuna. That adds up to 6 hours of riding the bus not including the waiting for connections at each of those 3 intermediate stops. Buses going through Guapiles on their way to San Jose leave every hour so you can just time your departure to give you an hour in Guapiles, but after that you're more at the mercy of the more limited local bus schedule. I'd figure 2 hours at each of the next 2 stops or 11 hours altogether.

If you go via San Jose, its 2.5 hours to San Jose with buses leaving every hour on the hour. From SJ to Fortuna the only bus you'd be able to make would be the one that leaves at 11:30. Leaving an hour margin (you might want to leave more since you'll have to change terminals and buy tickets in SJ), that would mean catching the 8AM (or earlier bus) and would put you into Fortuna around 3:30PM. Thats 7.5 hours or a half hour more driving but at least 3.5 less hours total than the "direct" public bus route. However, that's still considerably more than 4.5 hours by tourist shuttle (ie 3 hours more of "are we there yet?" from your child).

How badly do you want to save money? Public buses are dirt cheap, but even at $39 per adult (half that for your child) it may be well worth spending the extra money to save those 3 hours.

Now if you didn't mind splitting up that trip, it might make dealing with the local bus schedules a little easier to take. The question of where to stop to break up that trip has come up several times before. Here is a link that will get you started on finding an answer to that question:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k9014…

The short version is that you might want to do some forum searches for either the Selva Verde Lodge or La Quinta de Sarapiqui (highly recommended by Costa Rica Traveler). The bus might be able to let you off close to each of these but I'm not sure exactly if they're on the way or off the road a ways (both are located shortly after Puerto Viejo near La Virgen). You might need to take a short local cab ride from the local bus stop. And you should probably forget about Rara Avis that was also mentioned in those threads since you don't have a car and I know that place is WELL off the main road.

www.selvaverde.com

www.laquintasarapiqui.com

Mentioned in this post
Guapiles
Guapiles
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui
San Carlos
San Carlos
Province of San Jose, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: costa rica traveller please

Raquel,

Wouldn't surprise me LOL. Trying to help on the CR forums and trying to get my trip to Guatemala this weekend straight is getting confusing.

Actually the rt 4 turn off to PV de Sarapiqui is just beyond Guapiles at the little town of Flores. I just checked in case I was getting confused. It goes through Las Horquetas before reaching PV de Sarapiqui.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui
Guapiles
Guapiles
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: costa rica traveller please

Thanks Costa Rica Traveller,

Sorry - its just that the only Flores of any consequence that I had heard of is in Guatemala. Just shows - you should never doubt a Local Expert. Anyway - enjoy your trip to Guatemala

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costa rica traveller please

Raquel,

No need to be sorry. You are just as much, if not more, an expert from what I have read of your travels. Good to know I have some backup when I get a little loopy trying to keep countries straight. Can't wait to leave. Sounds like you had the same experiences in Antigua Spanish Language Schools as I did at the ones in Costa Rica.

Prolijo, your attention to detail is always amazing. I knew someone would come up with some bus numbers. We have spent a lot of time in the Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui area but always by vehicle. I have seen buses but those local ones are a pain to find out about.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui, Costa Rica
Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: costa rica traveller please

CRT,

Apparently your attention to detail isn't too shabby either since I never heard of Flores, CR either and also had to look it up on my map. Unfortunately, you're still not quite accurate since it looks like the road actually splits off one town further up in a place called called Santa Clara, which I'm sure also none of us had ever heard of. BTW, if you're going to catch a bus its always easier to do it at its point of origin than having to catch it along the way. While the road may split off in Flores or Santa Clara, the bus for Sarapiqui starts in Guapiles, so your best bet if you're going that route is to probably get off the SJ-bound bus there.

BTW, I'm a big fan of Guatemala too. I just don't post about it much because I don't know quite as much about it. If you haven't been there before, you'll love Antigua, ChiChi and the lake and (I really only passed through the airport at Flores on my way there) you'll also love Tikal. CR, for all its wonder , doesn't have anything like either of those 2 places.

Mentioned in this post
Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui
Guapiles
Guapiles
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Antigua
Antigua
Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: costa rica traveller please

Oh yeah, forgot to add. Those local buses are there even in a place like La Virgen. You just probably didn't notice them since you had a car. The problem is that you need to know when they're scheduled to pass through (like I implied in my last post). I'm sure your hotel front desk could tell you when that will be. Then you have to go a few minutes ahead, wait by the side of the road and flag the bus down as it approaches. They usually operate pretty close to schedule, so if you time it right you shouldn't have to wait that long. It sounds tricky, but really isn't that hard. But again it is always much simpler still to catch a bus where it starts since at that point its not yet a moving target.

San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: costa rica traveller please

Guess Flores was easier to remember. They are pretty close to each other.

You are right about getting the bus at its origin but I have stuck my arm out more than once to stop one on the road.

I have been to Guat once before. Last year at this same time. We stayed in close to 50 hotels before repeating when we first started traveling to CR. I wanted to experience as many as possible. We have stayed in a lot more since but we do repeat a lot because we have become really comfortable in some places. For some reason we are just repeating most of our trip to Guatemala that we took last year because we were overwhelmed with how much there was to see and do and learn about in those places. Will probably do the Elizabeth Bell tour in Antigua this year. Already planning to check out new places next year if we aren't tied up building our house in CR. As much as we still love CR it is nice to see a little culture. So, last year it was Super Bowl in Antigua, this year in Panajachel......Go Colts!

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Antigua
Antigua
Panajachel
Panajachel
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: costa rica traveller please

Yeah I know......culture and super bowl on the same posting. Can't see much in the dark so gotta have something to do.