We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala City, Livingston, Tikal Ruins, Lake?

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
11 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Guatemala City, Livingston, Tikal Ruins, Lake?

How long is it to Livingston from Guatamala City?

Should we bus there or is there a place to leave rental car on the other side of the river? (as I heard there is only ferry service to Livingston)

I'm considering renting a car as we wish to travel from Guatemala City. (my husband speaks spanish pretty well)

We really want to see Lake Atitlan, do a day flight to Tikal, and also drive out to coast and boat to Livingston. I wonder if this is all doable in 8 days with a hub of Guatemala City?

I hope to plan an agressive 'site seeing' itineary but relax at the beach one or 2 days on the carribean coast too! Thanks so much for any tips as this is our first visit if we decide to plan this.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala City, Livingston, Tikal Ruins, Lake?

FYI the rio dulce area www.mayaparadise.com is half way between guatemala city and Flores/Tikal. So, its about 5 hours and from there another three hours to Flores. You could save yourself the hassle of having to worry about securing the rental car for the night because www.litegua.com offers excellent and safe bus service. And from thre you can catch another bus to Tikal. Also, even though the roads are fine and you can get good deals onr rental cars, I would leave the driving to the bus drivers because believe it or not during the rainy season heavy downpours mainly in the afternoons makes driving real dangerous because of poor visibility and heavy traffic on those roads.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala City, Livingston, Tikal Ruins, Lake?

You might want to see if Flying first to Tikal... then take a rental and drive to Rio Dulce..(visit Livingston) see the coast and drive back to Guatemala City and visit Lake Atitlan... return rental in Guatemala City..

Tikal is relatively close to Rio Dulce/Livingston..so not sure if you want to fly to tikal r/t from guatemala and then drive out to the coast.

Guatemala to RIo Dulce is about 4-5 hours i believe.

Or just rent the car from Guatemala City, visit the Lake first and then drive up to Rio Dulce then tikal and then drive back to Guatemala...

3. Re: Guatemala City, Livingston, Tikal Ruins, Lake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 11:22