We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary and Other Advice

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary and Other Advice

Hi,

I will be traveling by myself in Guatemala in a few weeks. My rough itinerary is as follows:

Nov 16: bus from belize city to san ignacio

Nov 17: ATM cave hike

Nov 18: Bus to Tikal (stay at ? - possibly Jaguar inn?)

Nov 19: Sunrise hike at tikal - can I do this on my own?. (overnight bus to antigua)

Nov 20: Antigua - where to stay?

Nov 21 and 22: Lake Atitlan - where to stay?

Nov 23: return to belize

I was trying to figure out where to stay in Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan. Someone recommended Casa Palopo, but the cheapest room is $168.

Any tips you have would be appreciated it!

Cheers,

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary and Other Advice

Hia there, I suggest you check out this blog www.passplanet.com/guatemala it is an excellent source of information and for hotel information all over the country go to www.guatemalastory.com Good luck.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary and Other Advice

We stayed at Casa Florencia in Antigua. Spotlessly clean, reasonably quiet, good price - we were happy with our choice. We were there a few nights, but ended up booking the Santo Domingo for our last night at the end of trip when we got back to Antigua. That was a bit of a splurge that was wonderful.

After we left Antigua, we went to Tikal, Chichicastenango and Lake Atitlan. At Atitlan, we stayed at Lomas de Tzununa. I'm not sure how it would be if you were on your own - it's fairly remote, but the view is stunningly gorgeous. We were so pleased with our choice - it was amazing.

I loved Guatemala and would love to go back.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary and Other Advice

In Antigua, Casa Cristina and Casa Rustica (if it's not Friday or Saturday night) are reliable inexpensive choices. On the lake, it depends -- which town/village are you considering?

san francisco
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary and Other Advice

hey,

awesome....also from san francisco and will be travelling by myself to guatemala nov 14th-22nd. thinking about seeing the same places, too. do you speak spanish?

pura vida,

j

5. Re: Itinerary and Other Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 23:35
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary and Other Advice

I can offer some inexpensive (a relative term) accommodations on Lake Atitlan. I live in Santa Cruz and am more familiar with the hotels there, but try the following. La Iguana is more budget hostel, but everyone loves it. Isla Verde is more upscale, but still reasonably priced.

www.laiguanaperdida.com

www.islaverdeatitlan.com

7. Re: Itinerary and Other Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:20