We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our family trip to Guatemala, July 2008, Volcan Pacaya !

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
202 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Our family trip to Guatemala, July 2008, Volcan Pacaya !

I'm posting this seperately as Pacaya was probably the single best experience of our trip. We felt Pacaya was unmissable ! Below, my report.

…wordpress.com/2009/…

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our family trip to Guatemala, July 2008, Volcan Pacaya !

Awesome pictures, and great experience as you say not to be missed.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our family trip to Guatemala, July 2008, Volcan Pacaya !

I've really enjoyed reading your blog of your family's adventures not only in Guatemala but also some of the other countries. I wanted to ask how far is the distance you have go across the lava field to get to the flow? Also, you mentioned jumping from rock to rock so could you describe that more please. I'm debating if my bad knee can handle it. Thanks!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our family trip to Guatemala, July 2008, Volcan Pacaya !

Great report. Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
202 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our family trip to Guatemala, July 2008, Volcan Pacaya !

The next part of our trip, a side trip to Roatan is here:

…wordpress.com/2009/…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
202 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our family trip to Guatemala, July 2008, Volcan Pacaya !

Iwant2go, here's my best advice:

It's about a 15 minute walk across the flow. GO IN THE MORNING. We went in late afternoon, so on the way back it became very dark. You can get a mule up and down the mountain, so don't worry about that. I think in the daytime you'll be fine, just be careful. One thing I would advise is to wear gloves (like cycling gloves) - that way you can use your hands on the rocks to negotiate tricky parts (the rocks on the way across the flow aren't hot, just very jagged). Remember I was with a 10 year old whose strides were very small so for him it was quite a stretch - I think for an adult, no problem.

Glad to give advice on any place we've been

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our family trip to Guatemala, July 2008, Volcan Pacaya !

philipn

Thanks for the taking the time to reply. I noticed about the mules in your blog so thought I might hitch a ride. They are much more sure footed than horses if the ride back is late and getting dark. Did you have to go somewhere in particular to find them or where they pretty easy to locate?

I had already planned to use gloves since I have a pair I have used for glacier hiking in AK. I will dig those out since I'm sure I'll need to hold on.

Appreciate the advice!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
202 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our family trip to Guatemala, July 2008, Volcan Pacaya !

Don't worry, this is Guatemala we're talking about - as soon as you get off the bus, or out of the car, you'll be besieged by hordes of teenagers trying to rent you a walking stick or a horse. It's all right there, waiting for you.

Good luck !

8. Re: Our family trip to Guatemala, July 2008, Volcan Pacaya !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2010, 05:18